PDA

View Full Version : EZ Update

Pete Harbin
02-24-2005, 9:37 AM
I was sidelined with the flu for a couple days, but did get some time this morning to attach the Smart Base to my Ridgid CS. The process was easy and the base moves nicely over the rails. And if I ever really need to, the stock edge guide still slides right into their slots on the base.

When I checked the base for perpendicularity (try that one five time fast) at the front and rear of the base, it measured, a dead-on, 1 5/8" from the Anti-chip strips on the rails at both points.

I have discovered one drawback to the EZ Smart System though...my Ridgid CS will no longer fit in it's Ridgitainer! :D :D :D

No test cuts have been done yet. It was 6:00am when I worked on it, and I like my neighbors...and I'm pretty sure they still like me :rolleyes:

Next up will be mounting a PC 690 to the router guide kit, but not now, as I'm off to work. Have a great day gang!

Pete

Pete Harbin
02-24-2005, 9:41 AM
Oh! I almost forgot. As I noted in a previous post, I had ordered the Smart Clamp kit, and received a Router Guide Kit instead. Dino at Eurekazone told me to keep the Router Guide and sent out the Smart Clamps. I just received the clamps yesterday, and Dino included some extra inserts for the Smart Base! As has been noted many times...Excellent service from Dino and Eurekazone!

Pete

Steve Clardy
02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Dino's the man. He will take care of you.
I sure like my system.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Congrats on your system! I am sure you will love it. My saw barely fits in it's orginal case... One tip, most of the time there are "hollows" in those cases. Most likely your saw is only hitting on the handle, you may be able to cut through one side of the plastic to make it fix.

Pete Harbin
02-25-2005, 1:02 AM
You know, Jeff, now that I go back and look at it, it's the extra width and length of the new base that creates the fit problem. There is a hollow at the back end of the base that could be cut away to allow the base to sit flush with the rest of the seating surface originally provided. Great idea, and it looks like it may work. The local hockey team is back in town tomorrow night, so it looks like I'll be doing a little custom trimming and fitting on Saturday.

Pete

Go Scorps!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-25-2005, 8:02 AM
You know, Jeff, now that I go back and look at it, it's the extra width and length of the new base that creates the fit problem. There is a hollow at the back end of the base that could be cut away to allow the base to sit flush with the rest of the seating surface originally provided. Great idea, and it looks like it may work. The local hockey team is back in town tomorrow night, so it looks like I'll be doing a little custom trimming and fitting on Saturday.

Pete

Go Scorps!

If you have the same type containers for cordless drills that you use on job sites, don't overlook cutting into the plastic to create more storage. When I used to work on job sites, all of my containers were cut up inside, to fit drill bits, saw blades, and accessories. Some would call it a sin, but I don't :)

Pete Harbin
02-25-2005, 8:08 AM
Sin?...nah! Let's call it a customizability feature :)

Mike Holbrook
02-25-2005, 8:28 AM
Interesting Pete. I am horrible, I think the picture police have a contract out on me, but I have the same CS that I just attached to my EZ Smart. Looks like you used the tape, I drilled holes through mine. I use the new drill press every chance I get.

I hope to have my saw horses finished this week end. I just stacked 10 sheets of 3/4 ply in my new designated sawing area. Guess I better go crank up the digital camera. My little shop is almost presentable, as a phase 1 of construction.

Pete Harbin
02-26-2005, 1:27 AM
Mike,

Since the Ridgid doesn't have any mounting holes at all in it's base. I thought I'd take the mounting tape for a spin first. It's definately locked on there tight with the tape. It doesn't move at all.

I'm hoping to get the router mounted tomorrow and then start running some test cuts.

There's a lot of New Mexico Hockey going on this weekend (2 more Pro games, and our state High School finals) so the shop time may be cut down a bit :D

Pete