PDA

View Full Version : shallow bowl from half a tree branch

allen thunem
09-14-2011, 3:59 PM
title says it all.
I am wanting to try to make an elongated shallow bowl from half a tree branch. would like to hear how others have done it please, or possibly the location of a video perhaps.

Marty Eargle
09-14-2011, 7:47 PM
I made a fairly shallow natural edge bowl out of a cottonwood limb a while back. I basically put it between centers and turned a tenon. Then after chucking it up and realizing that the limb was a little wetter than I'd like it to be for truing up the outside, I put it back between centers and roughed the ends down. Back on the chuck, and cut the middle out like any other bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1-kGkvnsyE

That link might give you a decent look at how to get started, but when you start turning it, it'll come together pretty quick.

Bob Hamilton
09-14-2011, 9:09 PM
This video series is the elongated natural edge form done with a banksia pod rather than a tree branch, but the procedure would be the same: http://www.youtube.com/user/bobham5#grid/user/D535D7085BC85A63

Take care
Bob

Marty Eargle
09-14-2011, 9:15 PM
And while you're at it...go ahead and watch every video Bob has. They're invaluable.

Prashun Patel
09-15-2011, 9:05 AM
I found Bob Grumbine's "Turned Bowls Made Easy" an excellent video. It takes you from roughing out a branch/log thru the turning. There's a lot of things non-obvious things he goes into detail about (mounting screws for blanks, chainsawing in the right direction, depth of cuts). It's a great watch.

Primvs Aebvtivs
09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi there, newbie here... Most of the bowls I turn are from split logs (no 'proper' bowl blanks to hand yet...) I centralise the log, then turn the bowl from scratch. Sometimes I leave the branch end as cut from teh tree, sometimes I turn them too. I've got some posted on folksy.com - one sold, another waiting! I get a bit of tear on the unsupported fibre half of the branch as it meets the tool, but that's taken care of with sanding in the reverse position (by hand). Makes for fun turning a branch 10" long! You can actually see the tool through the branches shadow at times, you MUST remember how long / thick the branch is... If I find out how to post a pic on here, I'll put one on.