PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw V10 with Windows 7

John Frazee
09-14-2011, 2:47 PM
Came in to work Tuesday morning to a mess! Our sign/sublimation computer would not boot. To buy another computer I knew I needed Windows XP pro being that I use CDR V10 along with Drawmate10. I couldn't find one and even tried to find XP pro to buy to install on a new system. Couldn't find it local either. So, I bought a Windows 7 OS computer and downloaded from Microsoft the "XP mode" that you run with W7 Pro and it's supposed to enable you to use the older software/equipment. I worked through lots of bugs but am now stuck. While in Corel, select text and start typing shuts down corel. Has anyone had any luck with this?

John Noell
09-14-2011, 3:49 PM
Sorry, don't have Corel 10 any more to try. However, did you try running it under Win7 with the compatibility set to XP? (Go to CorelDrw.exe, right click, click on Properties tab, then click "Run as..." for XP. Works for a lot of programs.

John Frazee
09-14-2011, 4:05 PM
I tried that but it didn't have XP listed. Thanks though! I sure am struggling.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-14-2011, 5:06 PM
John, Sorry for your issues but why not just get X5 upgrade. Costco also has a Home/student version without all the bells and whistles for 49.00 but if this isn't a hobby you need the tools to do your job. one day of lost work will probably pay for the Corel Draw X5 upgrade. Last one I saw was around the low 100.00's. Unleashed had a special a while ago also.

Is it because of drawmate10 that you are resisting an upgrade?

John Frazee
09-14-2011, 5:45 PM
Michael, This is a full time job. Our store is in a shopping center and has about 3700 sq ft. Most of our computers are XP pro and yes, Drawmate has some to do with not wanting to change. We use XP for sign cutting and design as well as sublimation, laser, rotary engraving and more. There would be so much to change and I know for some things there would not be any fixes. Drawmate 10 will only work with corel 10. I feel like we may get there but still have many curves to get around.

John Noell
09-14-2011, 9:12 PM
I tried that but it didn't have XP listed. I think you must be looking in the wrong place. XP is definitely listed as a compatibility option for all versions of Win 7. (And don't feel too bad, we have a local surveyor who continues to use a package designed for Win 3.1! We got it to work under Win95 and even Win98, but no new motherboards come with drivers for Win98 and hos old one is dead. Our only suggestion was look for an old system on eBay.)

John Frazee
09-15-2011, 8:40 AM
I think you must be looking in the wrong place. XP is definitely listed as a compatibility option for all versions of Win 7. (And don't feel too bad, we have a local surveyor who continues to use a package designed for Win 3.1! We got it to work under Win95 and even Win98, but no new motherboards come with drivers for Win98 and hos old one is dead. Our only suggestion was look for an old system on eBay.)

In checking for compatibility, I right clicked on the Corel draw shortcut and went to the compatibility drop down. I think my corel is updated but maybe not. I will have to check. Thank you for helping.

Martin Coetzee
09-29-2011, 7:38 AM
John.
Is it not an option for you to re-install XP Pro ( From the original disk belonging to the bust puter, and register with MS ) as a dual boot system and get your Corel 10 working again until such time as you can fix the bust puter ?

Shawn Conklin
10-04-2011, 6:57 PM
I think you guys are confusing each other. John said he installed Corel in XP Mode which means the system is running Corel in a Virtual Computer thats running XP. So When he is going to corel and checking compatability mode settings its as if he is on an XP machine .... which would not have XP Compatability setting.

John F, What John N is suggesting is that if you install Corel into windows 7 like any other application then try to run it with compatability mode, you will then see xp as an option but you must install it as a regular application.

XP Mode is a computer in a computer for lack of a better description.

If your not a tech guy its a long conversation to see how you have things really set up but if you are a tech guy a little ....

XP Mode comes in 2 flavors. The Full desktop version and the application version. I would suggest you try using the full desktop version where you go into your 'All Programs' and 'XP mode' and run the XP Vitrual Machine. Where you actually see the whole virtual machine on the screen with the XP Start button and all. Sometimes running it that way helps with bugs.

-Shawn