PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0463PX Planer Feed Roller Question

Mike Goetzke
09-14-2011, 2:34 PM
My planer is less than a year old. When new I set up the feed rollers to manual specs but got lots of snipe. I then used some settings that another Woodnetter used and snipe is all but eliminated. I've been planing lots of wood for my kitchen project and have marks imprinted from the feed rollers. I have lightened up the spring load on the rollers quite (full turn - should I go more???) a bit but still get the marks. Called Griz and they said the roller edges are sharp when new but over time will ware and the marks should go away. I've planed about 300bf and still get the marks - takes 80 grit to get rid of. Any ideas on what to try next?

Thanks,

Mike

david brum
09-14-2011, 3:25 PM
I think everyone with a 15" planer gets the same marks. They usually are eliminated if you're taking off more than a hair of material. Said another way, you'll often get those marks if you're just skimming a few thousandths of wood off the top. You really need to allow the cutter head to remove enough material to get rid of the marks. They are less pronounced to nonexistent on harder wood species. It's hard to imagine how much wood it would take to wear those teeth down. Let us know if reducing the spring rate helps.

Ken Harris
12-19-2011, 6:47 AM
Mike
I have the G0453z could you pass along the other specs you spoke of.I had to adjust the spring tension and looking at infeed side the right rear set screw height was 5/16 and the others we're 1/8.I am getting about 3 in. of snipe but the boards are planing very good.

Mike Goetzke
12-19-2011, 9:39 AM
Mike
I have the G0453z could you pass along the other specs you spoke of.I had to adjust the spring tension and looking at infeed side the right rear set screw height was 5/16 and the others we're 1/8.I am getting about 3 in. of snipe but the boards are planing very good.

Check out post #2: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162166-Grizzly-G0453-Setup-Help&highlight=%2Brotocator+%2Bcherry

Remember - This is just a guide. I'm getting good results on mine (little to no snipe) but I still get marks from the outfeed roller. They are faint but still there. Next time I have time I may try to adjust them again. I personally haven't had much luck adjusting the spring tension bolts.

Mike

Steve Jenkins
12-19-2011, 9:52 AM
Are you sure the marks are from the outfeed roller? Usually the in feed is ribbed and the outfeed is smooth. reducing the pressure on the infeed will help reduce the marks and keeping good pressure on the outfeed should maintain the feed. The best bet is to take off about 1/32 or more on your last pass as David said.

Mike Goetzke
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Are you sure the marks are from the outfeed roller? Usually the in feed is ribbed and the outfeed is smooth. reducing the pressure on the infeed will help reduce the marks and keeping good pressure on the outfeed should maintain the feed. The best bet is to take off about 1/32 or more on your last pass as David said.

This has come up before - this planer has steel serrated infeed and outfeed rollers. The out is smoother but is still leaving marks.

glenn bradley
12-19-2011, 11:45 AM
I lightened the spring tension wayyyy beyond the default spec. This is due to the fact that I am milling smoother stock than the default settings are designed for; I imagine most home shop folks do. A metal feed-roller planer is not the lunchbox finish planer many of us started with and are used to. I do get mark free material if I take at least 1/32" in a pass (no hair's beadth passes like with a lunchbox allowed, use a plane or a scraper for that). As to the settings there are still a few full threads in the socket of the tension screws but, they are backed out enough that I put a blob of hot-melt glue on each one to make sure they stay put. Of course, we all remember to give those foir points a drop or two of light machine oil as per the manual, right? My current setup that is workingd for me is:

- feed path is dead flat (no elevated infeed or outfeed like on my lunchbox)
- rollers and cutterhead dead parallel to the table surface
- table rollers at .000" (even with the table surface)
- rollers just a few thou proud of BottomDeadCenter of the cutters

If I take too light of a cut or pull a bonehead maneuver and run a board through without changing the depth at all, I will get the marks you speak of. Very annoying but, avoidable through technique.