PDA

View Full Version : Two tone cabinets??

Rick Potter
09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
I am in the middle of building my kitchen cabinets in red oak, with a fairly dark red oak stain. There are upper cabinets on either side of the stove, with a vent fan unit to be installed between them. I have mocked up the cabinet that will hold the vent fan, and it will have a raised panel and a narrow shelf accross the 36" width.

I would like to try a simple carving of a vine, or some such thing on the flat panel below the shelf, but the carving would just look busy with the grain of the oak. We came up with the idea of making this one cabinet out of maple. This would lighten up the look of the area, and give us a blank canvas to do something special as an accent.

So....we have seen cabinets with accents, usually black strips of trim or whatever, but we have never seen a whole accent cabinet. Is this something that is done? Will it come off? Will it look dorky?

If we don't like it, I can pull it down and redo, but I would sure like some input before I spend that much time on a 'trial cabinet'.

Anybody seen any two tone kitchens?

Rick Potter

Andy Muckle
09-14-2011, 1:12 PM
Rick,

I have two tone cabinets. They are all maple (and not built by me), and are built in the exact same style, but some are dyed brown and others are painted a cream color with a light glaze that complements the dye. Visitor reviews are good. The cabinets compliment each other, but there is enough of a contrast that you're sure it was intentional.

Andy

Ryan Hellmer
09-14-2011, 3:46 PM
I did an install years ago with 2 tone cabinets. At first I was really skeptical, but they looked great. I agree that contrast is the key, it definitely needs to look intentional. Maple and oak are certainly different, I would try some different types to see what looks good. Dyed, stained or painted could also be options if you wanted to tone down the oak but get some contrast from other parts (highlighting the carving). I'm visualising a pickling glaze or something to that effect.

Ryan

Stan Mitchell
09-14-2011, 6:58 PM
I'd make a few test pieces to try different treatments before committing a bunch of $ on materials.

Great idea though.

glenn bradley
09-14-2011, 7:24 PM
Since the carving of the vine is what is driving this, have you considered an applique in a lighter wood vs. a carving? Just food for thought.

Rick Potter
09-15-2011, 2:15 AM
Well I googled two tone kitchens, and could not find much of the type I am thinking of. My wife is going to make colored drawings of the plan both ways. I am pretty sure I am gonna try it, as I can always take it out, it's not undoable.

Glen..I am thinking of a simple carving, because it would be special, and obviously hand done. I have never cared for apliques much. Probably because my brother sticks them all over cabinets in his rentals.

My rich buddies wife came up with a good idea. She said they probably have wallpaper stencils with the type carving I want to do. That would be great for a pattern for the unartistic cabineteer.

I gotta learn to do pics.

Rick Potter

Peter Quinn
09-15-2011, 6:07 AM
Not sure about the alternate species in the middle of two cabinets, no experience there. But ii have seen alternate grain used when a carving is required which cleans up the look. Often rif sawn oak can be used for a carved panel, it tends to compete less with the carving than flat sawn but has a similar color and accepts stain in a similar manor to the surrounding wood. So perhaps make the panel in question out of rift sawn red oak, or perhaps a species closer in color to red oak like vertical grain beech if the oak is not available?

matt tennessen
09-15-2011, 7:58 AM
Peter's got the answer. I think it may look like you had existing oak cabinets and purchased a pre-made maple cabinet. I know you're making them, but when I see dis-similar wood species in built-in applications, it makes me think the homeowner purchased something to match but didn't understand that there are different types of wood.

David Giles
09-15-2011, 9:02 AM
Here is a basic two tone wood idea. The darker inset panel breaks up the large visual expanse of red oak and is a nice backdrop to a small carving or picture.

Jim Becker
09-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Our uppers are green and lowers are white. And yes, you can absolutely get away with a "featured" cabinet in a different color than the rest of the kitchen...I've seen it often in design magazines as well as TOH mag.

Mike Palmer
09-19-2011, 5:11 PM
I have done a two tone kitchen. Here are a couple of pics for ideas.

Rick Potter
09-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys,

You have given me the courage to try something different. I am starting the lighter cabinet now, and I just got done trying some simple carving. I proudly showed it to my wife, who said it looked like someone in kindergarten did it.

Rick Potter

PS: Boy, those kitchens look great.

Karl Card
09-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I had the opportunity to see some cabinets made of maple and walnut. Personally I loved them and hope to do my dining room the same .