PDA

View Full Version : What Lathe Should be next?

Tom Winship
09-14-2011, 8:44 AM
I am currently turning on a Jet 1236 that I purchased 15 years ago and used sparingly until the last couple of months. I got intested in bowl turning and am sure I will progress to HF's at some point. (Did my first NE yesterday). I can see that at some point I will be limited by this lathe in diameter as well as power.

Which lathe (and why) would you purchase next? If you just want to spell out requirements I should establish, that is fine with me.

Thanks in advance. I know there are reasons that haven't occurred to me.

curtis rosche
09-14-2011, 9:59 AM
get the vb36. or build a custom one. its cheaper in some cases depending how elaborate you make it

Thom Sturgill
09-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I guess I'd have to ask about three questions before even considering an answer:

1) What is your budget? (Probably biggest single issue)
2) Is 220 power a problem?
3) What is the largest you would be comfortable turning?

Less than $1000 - delta mini - no increase in diameter, but great machine
Around $1500 look at the Jet 1642/1642-2, Grizzly G0698, Nova 1624
At $2K look at the Nova
At $4000 there are many options, look at the Powermatic 3520B (often referred to as a Mustard Monster on this site), or the Oneway machines, or Robust Liberty, Stubby and more
Over $4K the sky is the limit.

Personal turning experience only covers the Jets (1220 and 1642), the delta mini and the powermatic, though i've drooled over a few of the others! The only real criticism of the Jets I have is the lack of sealed bearings (I currently own a Jet 1220 and a 1642). The 'feel' of the 3520B is so much better than the Jet that I would not have believed it before I spent a weekend turning on one.

Tim Rinehart
09-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Tom,
Besides the issues on size of blanks, which would help figure out how big a lathe you need, also look at whether you are wanting to do both spindle (longer stuff for table legs, etc) and larger diameter blanks. I am guessing you are looking for a minimum of 2 HP for a proper upgrade.
Some lathes do both quite well (Jet 1642-2HP, PM3520, Robust American Beauty (2 or 3 HP), Oneway 2436, VB36 with extensions. This list is roughly in order of cost, give or take a couple hundred.
Others are more specialized for bowl and platter turning, and are too short for most spindles, like the Stubby, some VB and Oneway variants. That shortness makes approach to the end of the turned piece easier though, without as much reach over the bed of the lathe.
The PM3520 and Robust AB are both popular in part to their sliding headstock, permitting better situation of your piece to end of lathe.
Bottom line...if you want the "Last lathe you'll ever own"...figure out budget and configuration, and go test drive them. I know you can find folks around with the Jets and PMs...getting to a symposium would help see most of these lathes in action too.
Good luck with your decision, not an easy one.

PS: I remembered there is an article in WTA (Woodturners America) about this topic also. Under "Tools".

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Tom I agree with Thom. Budget, is 220 a problem, and how large will you turn. I think the Jet 1642 2 hp or the 1642 1.5 hp if 220 is a problem would do well. I went with the 16" swing because I knew I would not turn anything much bigger than a 16" bowl or with tool limitations (money/retired) that big hugh HF's weren't in the cards. I turned on both the Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP. I bought the Nova because of size. My shop is small and it was a better fit. With the Jet I wouldn't be able to slide the headstock to the end to turn bigger stuff in my shop. I do like the fact that I could have slid the headstock to the end and turned without bending over.

Reed Gray
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Price is always a consideration. For doing bowls over 12 inches, having variable speed is wonderful, and I will never go back to pulleys, or a reeves drive. 2 hp and 220 volt will give you the best performing lathe, depending on which one suits you, for bowl turning. You can go 1 1/2 hp and 120 volt and have a wonderful time as well. I started with a 4 speed Atlas, went to the PM3520A, and ended up with a Robust American Beauty. It is more lathe than I will need 99,999999999% of the time, but it will cover all my needs. Most lathes can get bed extensions. the PM was a bit short for turning table legs. I prefer the sliding headstock to the pivoting ones.

robo hippy

Dave Ogren
09-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I think that everyone is right. If you are interested, there is a low hours (about 300) VB-36 for sale in the classified section. It is in the Atlanta, GA. area. If you get interested and do not want all of the stuff that Charles is selling, I will buy all of the remaining parts, such as the tail stock etc. This could be a good deal for both of us. If you have never had the opportunity to turn on a VB-36, turning the interior of a bowl without the tail stock, or bed in the way is wonderful. Standing at the end makes a tremendous difference.
Good luck on your decision,

Dave

Alan Trout
09-14-2011, 1:03 PM
It really boils down to what you want to do and what you think you will be doing. I do mostly captive hollowing so having a long bed or a bed that can be extended is an important feature to me. So a sliding or rotating headstock is not that important. Also while it think the VB36 and the Vega bowl lathes are fantastic bowl lathes they are not the best choice for what I want to do. But if you were doing just bowls those are both great choices. The Robust, One Way, Serious, Vicmarc, Powermatic, Nova, VB, Vega, jet, are all fine machines and all have different capabilities. You need to figure what you want to do and what you want to spend and take it from there.

Alan

Steve Kubien
09-14-2011, 1:07 PM
Myself, I like turning bowls and smaller spindles (peppermills, pens and such). A few hollowforms as well. There is a VL300 (Vicmarc if you didn't know) over on the AAW classifieds right now. If I had the funds, it wouldn't be available for long....

Jon Nuckles
09-14-2011, 2:48 PM
Not too much to add to what has been said except to echo the benefit of a sliding headstock to let you get at the inside of bowls unimpeded by the bed of the lathe. I don't have experience with a pivoting headstock, and that may work just as well.

I can share my experience 2 full size models, both of which require 220 service. I had the Grizzly G0698, but it would not turn on consistently and Grizzly could not fix it so I returned it. I bought a Powermatic 3520B and I love it. There is no comparison between the two in my opinion, but others have had good luck with their G0698s and the Grizzly is less than half the price and a lot of lathe for the money. If you wait for Powermatic's sale you can save quite a bit on the 3520. I paid less than $3000 less than a year ago, though there has been a price increase since then. If you have the budget for more than the Powermatic and the need for more lathe, others can give you better guidance on the higher end models.

Terry Gerros
09-14-2011, 2:56 PM
Tom,

This is posted on SMC classified.........

Vicmarc VL300 Lathe - Central California
For sale is a mint condition Vicmarc VL300 lathe. Machine was purchased new from Woodworkers Emporium in Las Vegas in 2008. Other than a few test cuts, machine has been stored. Literally in like new condition. I have the outboard turning set up installed, and I also have the 500mm extension bed. Toolrests include 6", 12" and the goblet rest. This lathe has the Vicmarc base built in Australia with the emergency stop bar. This is a different base than the one Craft Supplies sells. Motor is a 3hp ABB with variable speed. Control box has a magnetic back and can be placed anywhere on the lathe. Spindle size is 1-1/4"-8. This lathe turns 24" inboard and 43" outboard. As configured, this machine sells for about $6400 new. I am asking $4300. Lathe is located in Visalia, CA.
I also have a number of nice accessories (chucks, McNaughton center saver, Oneway vacuum chucks, etc.) that the buyer of the lathe can have first dibs on.

Terry

Harry Robinette
09-14-2011, 3:53 PM
Tom
Think about what you wont to turn and where your going to get the wood. Getting a bigger lathe is great if you have a source for bigger wood.
Moving head stock would be a plus, Electronic VS a big plus.
The Nova 16-24 head will rotate but not slide no VS
The jet 16-42 sliding head and VS
the Powermatic 3520B sliding head and VS plus mass
Lots of choices and whichever one you choose will be the best for you.
Have fun looking I'm still looking at a Stubby

Steve Kubien
09-14-2011, 4:49 PM
Oops. I thought I saw this on the AAW.

Steve Kubien
09-14-2011, 4:51 PM
Harry, what would the Stubby give you that the Vega does not? Just curious.