PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw, scrollsaw combo?

Robert Johnstone
02-24-2005, 8:13 AM
Here's my idea. What are the flaws. I currently have a Delta 14" bandsaw. I am looking for a larger, more capable saw for resawing. Don't want to put a riser block on the Delta because of power and because it would make useless my stock of 93-1/2" blades. My plan is to eventually buy a larger, 220V bandsaw for resawing, sell the Delta and use my scrollsaw for tight work. Thoughts and advice?

Dick Parr
02-24-2005, 8:35 AM
It would depend on the size of your scroll saw. I do a lot on my scroll saw but it is only a 16" so it is limited and with an 1/8" blade on the bandsaw I can do a lot of small cuts. Depending on the work, they both have there limitations.

My 2 cents worth. :)

Robert Johnstone
02-24-2005, 9:04 AM
I have a 20" Delta scrollsaw. My concern is that with an 18" bandsaw the larger, flatter wheels and thrust bearings won't do well with a 1/4" or smaller blade. I know I would have to use the bandsaw for thicker stock but the scrollsaw should do okay for 3/4" and thinner. Ya think?

Ted Shrader
02-24-2005, 9:06 AM
Robert -

In a slightly different, but similar position here. Have a Jet 14" w/riser - and a collection of 93½" and 105" blades. Do not own a scroll saw. Just bought a Minimax MM16 mostly for resaw. It will, however, run smaller blades if the guide blocks are changed to CoolBlocks<sup>®</sup>. So, since space is at a premium, I intened to get rid of the Jet 14" and go with the inconvienience of switching guide blocks for "scroll" work and use the "Jet" space for a mortiser which will see use.

Ted

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 9:17 AM
I'm in the same situation as Ted, but a little farther along as I already sold my Jet 14" saw to another 'Creeker. (space concerns for me) I bought the Cool Blocks for the MM16 so I can use the very narrow blades on occasion. That said, if I were going to do a LOT of tight work that demanded a 1/8" blade, I'd want a 12" or 14" bandsaw to do that, leaving the larger machine for heavier work. A scroll saw can do some of the work that you might use a small bandsaw for, but these machines become more limited when you get to thicker material, etc...even the expensive ones. Scrollsaws, IMHO, are detail machines that do certain things extraordinarily well, but they do not have the cutting "strength" that a bandsaw has.