PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Bowl

Kathy Marshall
09-14-2011, 2:06 AM
This was last nights project.
I picked up an ambrosia maple bowl blank from Woodcraft a few months back. They had gotten a big load in, and the price was right, and I think I got a pretty nice blank!
Lots of little worm holes and the staining is pretty even and there's even a little curl around the knot hole.
7 3/4" x 2 1/4" with a coat of BLO which I'll top off with some WOP later. Didn't need a lasting food safe finish since as you can see, this bowl won't be holding any soup.
207569207571 207568 207570
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Paul Heely
09-14-2011, 6:03 AM
That is a nice looking bowl, Kathy. The curl around the knot hole must have been a nice surprise. I like the way you sloped the rim into the bowl slightly. I may have to try that sometime.

Paul

John Keeton
09-14-2011, 6:40 AM
Kathy, very nice bowl. I prefer the darker Ambrosia maple over the lighter color. This piece is heavily stained and is beautiful. It usually turns and finishes very nicely.

Michelle Rich
09-14-2011, 7:22 AM
I like the darker Ambrosia vs. what I see most of the time. nice simple shape lets the wood sell itself

Steve Vaughan
09-14-2011, 8:39 AM
That is just a beautiful color! Nice simple shape and a great job!

Terry Gerros
09-14-2011, 9:13 AM
Kathy,

There is a high probability this Ambrosia maple came from Mike Smith of Century Tree Turnings. I was at Desert Roundup with Mike last February and we sold a fair amount to Woodcraft. You might checkout his website centurytreeturnings.com and save some money.

Very nice bowl.

Terry

John Keeton
09-14-2011, 10:03 AM
This does appear to be very similar to the Ambrosia Mike has - good stuff!!

Betty Fox
09-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Yep. We got some of that maple over at Terry's a few weeks ago. Great prices and good figure.

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Kathy that is a real beauty. I like the darker ambrosia. Mike Smith has some good stuff.

Jon Nuckles
09-14-2011, 3:02 PM
Very pretty wood and a nice simple shape to show it off. With all of the wood in your yard we saw in the pictures you posted a while ago, I can't believe you paid for a blank! ;)

Rick Robbins
09-14-2011, 3:46 PM
very nice work. look's great. Rick

charlie knighton
09-14-2011, 4:58 PM
nice form , great figure

Josh Bowman
09-14-2011, 9:22 PM
Kathy,
I like the look. The grain and form is pleasing to my eye. It'll make a great fruit bowl.

Marty Eargle
09-14-2011, 9:54 PM
I must have missed the dark AM that Mike Smith the few times I've gone out to his place I (my girlfriend) always picks out the lightest, brightest of all the Ambrosia...which I'm not a huge fan of...but people that get my turnings do. I'll certainly have to search a bit harder next time.

It won't hold soup, but its a darn fine looking bowl!

Baxter Smith
09-14-2011, 10:40 PM
That is a neat piece of wood! Nice bowl Kathy.

Kathy Marshall
09-15-2011, 1:41 AM
Thanks everyone!
I have to agree that I like the darker ambrosia maple too. It's just amazing what the oil brings out since it is fairly light when it's naked. I'm very happy with how evenly the stain is spread out through the piece.
I just love ambrosia maple! Every time I turn a piece of maple it makes me think of my Dad and how much he would have liked it, he was a big fan of maple, curly, birdseye, quilted and all the rest.

Kathy,

There is a high probability this Ambrosia maple came from Mike Smith of Century Tree Turnings. I was at Desert Roundup with Mike last February and we sold a fair amount to Woodcraft. You might checkout his website centurytreeturnings.com and save some money.

Very nice bowl.

Terry
Yep, I believe you're right! I can't tell you how many times I went to Mike's booth to drool over the wood, but I had already spent way over budget to pick up a hollowing rig. So I wasn't too disappointed to find some of it at Woodcraft. Don't remember what I paid for it, just that the blanks looked very nice and the price was right.

Very pretty wood and a nice simple shape to show it off. With all of the wood in your yard we saw in the pictures you posted a while ago, I can't believe you paid for a blank! ;)
Thanks John! I do buy an occasional blank if it's really nice. With all the free wood I get, I'd rather save my money for more tools, but every now and then I have to feed the need for something a little different!

Bill Embrey
09-15-2011, 9:05 AM
:) That is a beautiful bowl, but I have to say that when I first saw the thumbnail pictures (I was looking at them on my iPad, so they were small), I was thinking "oh my, I wonder why she left all those tool marks in that bowl"... it wasn't until I saw the larger image that I realized it was the VERY unusual grain. Very cool, I love your work and am amazed at the amount of wonderful work you are able to produce.

Bill