PDA

View Full Version : Corel to Autocad conversion

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-14-2011, 12:46 AM
I do alot of 3D work in Autocad, however I design a lot of the parts in Corel Draw. I just find it faster since in many cases I started out in Corel draw with a prototype that was cut on the laser.

My problem is the conversion from Corel Draw 2D to Autocad 2D is a messy thing. If I use anything but DWG files I dont get accurate messurements. If I use DWG files Autocad will lock up once the 2D work is converted to a 3D solid. This has to do with how Corel exports simple shapes.

Just wondering if others have done any conversions between the two.

For now what I do is the following:
1. Export to DWG from Corel
2. read in the DWG file.
3. Recreat the objects by tracing them.

This seems to be the only way to get a 2D object that is 3D solid friendly in Autocad.

George D Gabert
09-14-2011, 8:46 AM
You might try exporting DXF files instead of DWG. DXF is more universal in cross platforms than DWG it is only 2D though but much more compatable.

Regards
GDG

Chris DeGerolamo
09-14-2011, 9:07 AM
Depending on the complexity, you may consider redrawing them. We've never had great luck going from CDR to DWG/DXF. Depending on your version of AutoCAD, you could go CDR to PDF and PDFATTACH and videotrace that way since AC will snap to the endpoints, perpendicular etc.

CDR to DWG/DXF makes a bunch of splines, right? You could use the FLATTEN command to convert/revert those to polylines...

Sotos Patistas
09-14-2011, 11:51 AM
You might try exporting DXF files instead of DWG. DXF is more universal in cross platforms than DWG it is only 2D though but much more compatable.

Regards
GDG

FWIW, as I only recently entered the world of 3D CAD, I found to my surprise that DXF files can indeed contain 3D objects. See attahed for proof.

I created it in ViaCad 2d/3d, exported it as a DXF, and when I open it in Vectric Cut3D, lo and behold, it's 3D. Who'd a thunk?

Jerrimy Snook
09-14-2011, 12:10 PM
I use CorelDraw12 and one thing I have had to do to export dxf to my vendors is to break all the curves apart at their nodes. They can be combined or grouped but not joined at the nodes.

Richard DiMaggio
09-14-2011, 2:24 PM
I too do alot of generation of shapes and geometry in Corel, exporting the DXF file and importing into ACAD. Try exporting your Corel file in an earlier version of ACAD.DXF (like R11) where you get polylines instead of splines. The only thing I found that you don't get is the $EXTMIN and $EXTMAX values. So, I wrote a little VB program that rips thru the DXF file, finds the maximum X and Y values, minimum X and Y values and just puts it back out with the $EXTMIN/$EXTMAX defined.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-14-2011, 4:58 PM
Here is a free demo version to try out and see if it accomplishes what you need.
http://www.coreldrawtools.com/professional/index.html
or you may want to try the standard one.

I just downloaded it, both Pro and Standard, last night so haven't had time to play with it yet but the examples look like it will do what I want it to. I have some one that sends me DWG files that are converted from a Solidworks exported DXF. The curves are nothing but segmented lines and it, the laser, goes painfully slow in these areas. We may try an IGES or other 2D files that will work with Corel. I am trying to keep the costs down by them sending me a file I can use directly or can push a button or 2 and have it ready with true arcs. But this Pro DXF tool should be able to do it with out a problem.

Hope this helps and ...

Richard DiMaggio
09-15-2011, 7:20 AM
Your laser goes slow in the corners because when Corel exports it's version of a line to DXF, it's usually done with splines. They put a ton of points out based on the curves in the lines. I don't know why a constant velocity routine isn't used in your laser steering or positioning software, but the solution to this is what I have done which is to convert the geometry to equally spaced points along the line which reduces the number of points in that line drastically. This now yields a constant velocity between the points and does not need curves or arcs so you can accept DXF files produced with polylines. Would you be interested in this feature?

Michael Kowalczyk
09-15-2011, 5:24 PM
Hey Richard,
thanks for the info but please re read my post. If it was not clear, please forgive me. I am not exporting a DXF file from CDR. My customer uses Solidworks and exports a DXF from there and then uses AutoCAD to convert it to a DWG file so he can nest it and put his tabs in it. So I get the DWG file from him. I am trying to get them to do the bulk of the work so i don't have to charge them extra. They are kids in college so I am trying to help them out as we go along but yes I would prefer to have clean lines.

Let me know what you have that can eliminate the jitters.

Thanks and ...

Richard DiMaggio
09-16-2011, 8:50 AM
[QUOTE=My problem is the conversion from Corel Draw 2D to Autocad 2D is a messy thing. [/QUOTE]

Basically, this was the original post and you added the slow in the corner thing...That is what I have solved the problem for. Since I write all my own software, not only for geometry manipulation but for the actual laser control, I've seen just about every problem with too many points and crappy lines. Sorry I could not help...

Kevin L. Waldron
09-23-2011, 3:57 PM
I have no affliation but have tried demo and it worked great........

http://www.coreldrawtools.com/

kevin

Michael Kowalczyk
09-23-2011, 4:06 PM
Hey Kevin,
Same one I suggested on 9-14. Scroll up to post #7. Like they say "2 heads are better than one" especially if they are on the same page.;)

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-25-2011, 5:12 AM
Thanks guys. I have been having good luck breaking apart curvs and exporting as R11 DWG. All I do is a presspull and they are 3D. Been working good.