PDA

View Full Version : For all the peppermill makers

wes murphy
09-13-2011, 8:52 PM
I'm just trying my hand a making these mills. My queston is how to finish the inside of the mill. I made a walnut mill today and thought my corns might taste like walnut, although there was no noticeable transfer of the odor tonight at supper. It sems I read putting sanding sealer, but others have said put nothing. So whats the consensus on how to finish the mills. Does it depend on the wood, weather it starts off wet or dry? I have some gorgeous wet Jobillo i want to use, assuming i dont screw it up.

Joseph M Lary
09-13-2011, 9:19 PM
I prep my blanks , rough turn them round , and drill them out, seal the ends and leave them for a few months to dry down .Alot of my wood is 1 or 2 years old . You might need longer with your wood . I dont want to have someone call me and tell me that the one I sold them cracked . On the inside I take a 1" drum sander and clean up the inside,no finish.

Bernie Weishapl
09-13-2011, 9:24 PM
I don't finish the inside of mine. I just use a sanding stick to sand the inside and it is good to go. I have made a lot of walnut mills with no taste side affects.

Jim Burr
09-13-2011, 11:07 PM
No finish at all! There is not a reputable source anywhere that recommends the use of finish. The drill bit of your choice is finish enough.

David E Keller
09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I've only made a couple, but no finish inside. I wouldn't suggest using green stock for a mill... You might get away with it on mesquite or something similarly stable, but I don't think I'd even try with mesquite.

Michelle Rich
09-14-2011, 7:32 AM
use only dried wood...use shellac as an interior sealer for woods that may cause allergic reactions. Shellac is totally safe to eat, so you can use it on any wood interior, even if you think no one is allergic to your chosen woods. I've used shellac in every mill I have ever made. keeps residual sawdust out of your pepper

Greg Just
09-14-2011, 7:35 AM
I have never finished in inside of my mills, except maybe the top inch or so that you can see when filling the mill. I do sand the inside smooth and blow out and dust that might me in there.

Betty Fox
09-14-2011, 8:49 AM
I've made two to date. I see you haven't made any. No picture. :( I rough sand with sandpaper wrapped around a long doweling and shellac the inside.

Dan Hintz
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I seem to remember a similar thread a month or two ago for a salt mill... if memory serves, the consensus was leave it as bare wood to help keep moisture in check (and therefore prevent any clumping). Not as big of an issue with peppercorn, but if it's good enough for salt...

Jim Burr
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
That's other point to Dan! If you every look at a commerically made and store bought grinders, they are never finished with anything other than sandpaper. If you are turning a pepper mill out of wood you are allergic to...there maybe other issues than allergy:rolleyes:;):eek:

Quinn McCarthy
09-14-2011, 2:40 PM
On the ones I built I put a light coat of mineral oil and haven't had any problems with that.

I would not ever use anything but kiln dried lumber on a pepper mill. But that is my opinion. Lumber that is not kiln dried will reach equilibrium in a few month. after that it doesn't matter how long you wait it won't get any drier than that point.

Quinn

John King
09-14-2011, 4:16 PM
I think it's wise to isolate the wood from the peppercorns to avoid any chance of pepper contamnation. A light coat of shellac nicely seals the peppercorn chamber from any possible contamination by the wood. And it's food safe. - John

Cody Colston
09-14-2011, 6:54 PM
A sanding stick and a coat of Zinsser seal coat is what I use. I don't know if the shellac is necessary but it certainly doesn't hurt.