PDA

View Full Version : Advice...drill press ?

Art Jordan
09-13-2011, 8:05 PM
I would like to buy a floorstand drill press. 6 inches of travel and adjustable speed without moving belts.

The Delta 18 inch has 6+ inches of travel , however is belt adjustable.

The powermatic has variable speed by switch however has only 4.3 inches of travel

I need the 6 inches for drilling duck calls.

Anyone have additional information?

thanks

art

Jamie Buxton
09-13-2011, 8:13 PM
It looks like the Delta 18 inch drill press has the same table as my Delta 17" drill press (17-959L). There's a gear in it which drives the table up and down the column. The gear in mine shattered, under very light usage. Delta says that gear is out of stock, and suggests buying a larger, more expensive, subassembly. That subassembly is backordered with no known delivery date. Pretty clearly, Delta has a manufacturing problem, and no solution.

Darrell Bade
09-13-2011, 9:28 PM
Jet makes one listed as a metal working drill press on their website that has variable speed and a 6" stroke. I priced one, it runs about $1,600.

I bought the Delta. It had everything I wanted except VS but at least with the lever to detension the belts it is better than some.

Greg R Bradley
09-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Adjustable speed and 6" travel will be difficult.

I believe the Jet mentioned is the old Wilton that isn't around anymore. It was a machine shop drill press so might not be what you want for woodworking anyway.

A similar, but still US made, unit is the Ellis 9400. I don't think it is quite 6" travel but close. 2hp and top speed is 1200-1500 rpm as I recall.

I would buy a Delta 18-900L. Delta does seem to have some temporary parts issues but the one gear problem mentioned is the only table lift issue that I have heard of. The Powermatic PM2800 table lift gear is complete garbage and one of the primary reasons I returned mine for (another) Delta.

Lots of variable speed long travel Clausings available used but I can't imagine you will find a 240v single phase unit. They are fabulous units, however.

Andrew Joiner
09-14-2011, 12:57 AM
The Steel City 20525 17" Variable-Speed Drill Press

Rick Potter
09-14-2011, 2:32 AM
Hi Art,

I have a 16 1/2" Delta, model 17-925. It is maybe 8-10 years old, and has a reeves type variable speed (mechanical). It is a variable speed in two ranges. There is a lever that switches from low speed to high, and a lever dial on the front that dials in the speed (150-3100 RPM). It has a 3/4 HP motor which I have never stalled, and a full 6" throw. It also has a quill lock, and a quick adjust nut on a rod for depth stop (my favorite type). It is a floor model, with the crank for the table height. It was about $800 new.

Hope this helps,
Rick Potter

Gregory King
09-14-2011, 9:17 AM
Something seems strange with the PM2800. Last winter when I purchased the Delta 18 model, I was looking at one or the other and I would almost swear that the PM had at that time a 6" travel. Was there a change made or maybe I'm crazy? Greg

Darrell Bade
09-14-2011, 5:34 PM
I think you and I are both crazy. When I read this post last night I wondered what he was talking about because I would have sworn the Powermatic had a 6" stroke also. I even went to their website to be sure before I told the OP he was wrong. But according to the PM website, he is correct.

Peter Aeschliman
09-14-2011, 8:59 PM
x2 on the Steel City 20525. It has 5 speeds, adjustable via a lever (no belt changes)... and it has 6 inches of travel.

Jerome Hanby
09-15-2011, 9:27 AM
I glanced at the specifications on the Steel City and it looked like the minimum speed was still a little high. Did I look at something wrong?

Greg R Bradley
09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
I glanced at the specifications on the Steel City and it looked like the minimum speed was still a little high. Did I look at something wrong?

No, that is a basic problem with all mechanical continuously variable speed drives. A larger range can be accomplished with a more sophisticated design such as that used by Clausing or Bridgeport. Those designs are expensive.

The Powermatic PM2800 is much the same. The one I bought would only go down to 400 RPM if you removed the top cover to allow the mechanism to move past the end of the slot. The actual speed as measured with my tach was about 20% faster than displayed on their LCD.

I can't see a variable speed mechanism that covers the range that a woodworker would want at a reasonable price point.

Art Jordan
09-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all..I really appreciate the additional information.

Now to go shopping........how do I explain to my wife that I need another drill press

art