PDA

View Full Version : Maple HF

Paul Heely
09-13-2011, 7:50 PM
For some reason I had never photographed this piece before. It's the first hollow form that actually made it out of the shop. It's now in my wife's permanent collection. Comments and critiques are welcome.

Species: maple
Size: 7" x 3"
Finish: Watco Natural, buffed and waxed.

Thanks for looking
Paul

Jim Burr
09-13-2011, 8:10 PM
I really like this form Paul. Maybe a little smaller opening, but that's just me. Very nice!

charlie knighton
09-13-2011, 8:30 PM
very nice.....

David E Keller
09-13-2011, 8:44 PM
Nicely done! That's not an easy form with the relatively flat top and wide shoulder, so if you can do that, you can do just about anything! I can see why your wife snagged it up!

Bernie Weishapl
09-13-2011, 9:29 PM
Really is a nice piece. If the wife snagged it, it must be pretty good.

Bill Bolen
09-13-2011, 10:25 PM
That's a really nice piece most especially for a first. Mine...not so much. Ended in pieces!

Ian Jeffcock
09-13-2011, 10:34 PM
If this is your first, there are great pieces in your future. Well done.

Baxter Smith
09-13-2011, 10:42 PM
A good looking first Paul! Lets see some more!

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
Good looking hollow form Paul - especially for your first! I hope in all your excitement to get it out of the shop in one piece - you remembered to sign and date it!!

Looking forward to seeing some more ofyour work!

Paul Heely
09-14-2011, 6:12 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I could see making the opening a little smaller. If I remember right that was the smallest opening that I could get the end of my Jamieson boring bar through when I had it all contorted for cutting the top. I have move choices in hollowing tools now. I also have three more blanks from the same log that I want to do HFs out of, so I'll get a chance to try a smaller opening.

This was not the first one, just the first one that made it out of the shop. The flatter top is a shape that appeals to me. I did make a couple of nice bowls before I got the top to stay intact on this one.

I actually did not sign or date this one. Unless my wife changes her mind, this one will have to live on as my unsigned masterpiece. I've signed and dated everything else since then.

Paul