PDA

View Full Version : K3 winner 79x48

Dave Novak
09-13-2011, 3:28 PM
I've read everything I can here and elsewhere on the web and I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the subject saw. One issue I'll be wrestling with is the footprint, but I'm wondering; might this replace another tool or two in the shop? For example, I'm thinking I might get by without my guided saw/rail system. Maybe. Might even replce a SCMS and it's associated workstation? I guess I'm just looking for something to push me over the edge.

Mark Engel
09-13-2011, 5:05 PM
I don't have a K3, but I do have a Grizzly G0623X. I looked at the K3 for a long time but just couldn't come up with the funds (and permission from LOML).

I can say that a sliding table saw is a wonderful machine to work with. It just feels so much safer. Making perfectly square cuts is a breeze once the cross cut fence is zeroed in.

I'm guessing you use the guided rail system for breaking down sheet goods? You should be able to do most of that on the K3, with the 79" sliding table. You can easily cross cut a full sheet of plywood.

David Kumm
09-13-2011, 5:10 PM
Sliders are really great but I wouldn't count on replacing much. The 79" won't rip ply totally although if you keep the fence in the back you can push the sheet through. The SCMS is too handy when the crosscut fence is off to lose either. I have a hammond trim saw with a small slider that takes up little room for the little stuff and a SCMS. The 79" size is really good for BB 5x5 ply. Hammer is a good machine. My only concern would be if you are moving it around a lot or cutting lots of 4x8 mdf as it is lighter duty. Dave

Jeff Monson
09-13-2011, 5:29 PM
Dave, I think the saw will exceed your expections. Hammer is a great product and nicely laid out. If you need to rip sheet goods then a longer slider is nice, if you can cut the width first then it will do 4x8 sheet goods very quickly for you. A sled for the slider is also an option for ripping a full 8', that would eliminate the need for a track saw (I have not used mine since the purchase a sliding tablesaw). It can replace a SCMS but I still use mine, it seems quicker and probably just a force of habit. These are very versatile machines and I feel way safer using my slider versus a conventional tablesaw. It has a bit of a learning curve, but worth every penny.

Peter Aeschliman
09-13-2011, 5:54 PM
I can't imagine you could replace your SCMS... for example, cutting a tall piece of crown molding on a sliding table has to be much more awkward than on an SCMS. I suppose you could lay the molding down flat, but then you end up with much more complex math to get the blade tilt and miter angle right.

Plus, cross-cutting a few inches off of an 8' long board will require a ton of space in your shop since the workpiece has to move while hanging off of your sliding table... whereas with an SCMS, the workpiece and saw are stationary and thus require less space.

So I think you should keep it... more tools the better!!!

Dave Novak
09-13-2011, 5:59 PM
Agreed on needing a SCMS. Maybe I can get by without the most expensive one though.

With respect to ripping 4x8 sheetgoods, can't I just use the fence like I would with a traditional american style saw? Probobly requires some outfeed support.

I would guess a recurrant problem might be wanting to straight-line rip/clean up one edge of long rough stock.

Chris Tsutsui
09-13-2011, 6:13 PM
I have this saw with most of the bells and whistles. The footprint is small, but the slider and outfeed extensions and outrigger make this HUGE.

When Hammer utilizes a 79" long extrusion it is louder than the 48" and puts more stress on the bearings. If you want a unit that glides very smooth and silent then I suggest upgrading to the K500 series or going with another brand.

Right now I'm working with customer service to try and get some kinks out of my unit and hopefully I'll be able to put up a review on the machine once I feel comfortable using it on a project.

I don't plan on selling my kapex or my TS55 for both those are fantastic tools that can do things that the slider can't.

The TS55 can do plunge cuts and can be brought to jobsites. The Kapex is way more convenient for trim work, adjusting angles, and crosscutting long thin stock.

If I had enough space I'd have a cabinet saw AND a slider.

Mark Engel
09-13-2011, 6:25 PM
If I had enough space I'd have a cabinet saw AND a slider.

We are total agreement on that point. :D

Peter Quinn
09-13-2011, 8:08 PM
Well, the track saw takes up no space when not in use, and its still a pretty handy implement for long angles, plunge cuts, ripping long strips from full sheets if your slider is small, etc. I could see you dismantling a large SCMS station in favor of something smaller, possibly a knock down portable type unit if space is critical, but the slider really wont replace a SCMS if you do lots of trim work. It is very difficult to do crown on a slider, for instance, or even a small sprung bed molding, which are both very simple on a SCMS. I have made a miter jig for a slider and Felder makes a miter jig, both of which can replace some of the tasks for which you might go to the SCMS. But the footprint of a SCMS by itself is so small I would certainly keep it in some capacity if at all possible.

SO GO BUY THAT SLIDER! PUSH PUSH, HINT HINT, SHOVE SHOVE!!!!

Rod Sheridan
09-13-2011, 9:14 PM
I have a B3 Winner which replaced my General cabinet saw and shaper.

I don't do trim installation, just furniture so I don't have a mitre saw, nor do I have a track saw.

If I need to break down sheet goods I either do it at the supplier or draw a pencil line on the sheet and cut it with a free hand circular saw.

Realistically I could mark it with chalk and cut it with a chain saw since the slider fixes all edges.

If you really need to straight line a full sheet on the smaller Hammer slider buy the guide strips from Hammer and make a ply jig for it.

You won't regret going to the slider, you may regret not putting the shaper in it as well..............Rod.

John P Clark
09-13-2011, 9:27 PM
I have had this same saw in my shop for the last year, and it has performed great. I wonder how I did things prior to getting this saw. It might replace you track saw, but I would keep the SCMS, it is still needed with this saw. I have no regrets in buying this saw and as I stated, I wonder how I did things without it