PDA

View Full Version : "new" oliver tools

jim mills
09-13-2011, 2:14 PM
Any experience or opinions on the Newer line of Oliver tools? I'm sure they are not the Oliver of old, and I bet they are Taiwanese, but they look heavy, no?

David Kumm
09-13-2011, 2:34 PM
Jim, The name was bought by the guy who imports Sunhill. I believe they are Taiwan rather than China and a step above the generic imports. My problem is that the price of most of their stuff is more than an old Oliver in good condition and there is no comparison. Rich Fink bought everything but the name and still sells some original Oliver machines and parts at Eagle Machinery. The new Oliver has an oscillating drum sander that I believe they developed but I have never used one. Dave

Montgomery Scott
09-13-2011, 6:23 PM
I inquired directly to Oliver about their 10" jointer a couple of years ago. The castings were chinese and the motor was american made and electronics were american as well.

jim mills
09-13-2011, 7:24 PM
Used "find dealer" on their web page and found someone local. Asked them a question about their shapers and was told: "the manuals are downloadable off their webpage". Such service...I'm turned off already.

Tony Joyce
09-13-2011, 8:12 PM
Jim,
More than likely the person you talked to did not know the answers to your questions and that seemed like a good way to answer. DAMHIK. I'm familiar with most of the machines and have run the majority of them on a daily basis. The ones I don't run I probably have access to. The fit and finish is better than average. They are built by Geetech in Taiwain as are these below as per the web site. I would be happy to answer any questions you have if you'd like. You can google Geetech to see the manufacturers web site.

Andrew Hughes
09-13-2011, 9:39 PM
I have four of the fourteen machines listed on the banner.I always wondered why the set screws were not tight on the pulleys.Now i know they were built by Geetech.Maybe i should send them a set of wrenches save the furture of woodworking?I am just joking of course.They probably made my pencil sharpener and i didnt have to do anything to get it going but plug it in.
I have a oliver jointer and really like it.

Rick Alexander
09-14-2011, 1:03 PM
I have their 8 inch spiral cut jointer and have been really happy with it. A lot of that probably has to do with the cutters rather than the jointer but so far - I haven't had a single issue other than it really doesn't match my grizzly green all that well.

Andrew Hughes
09-14-2011, 1:54 PM
Hi rick,the spiral head you mention is it the carbide inserts?If so have you bought new ones yet.

Rick Fisher
09-15-2011, 1:17 AM
I looked at the Oliver machinery at the AWFS in Atlanta ( I think ) .. it seeemed like Taiwanese import but upper end.. Really impressed with the big Planer they had .. seemed well built..

Rick Alexander
09-15-2011, 7:52 AM
Hi rick,the spiral head you mention is it the carbide inserts?If so have you bought new ones yet.

These are the carbide inserts. I've only had it since last year and have only made 1 full kitchen and several smaller projects so far using it so I really haven't pushed the cutters that hard yet. I've used it on some particularly hard to plane red maple figure and that is where the spirals shine bright. I found I had to get within 8 inches to surface on the jointer and run the glue up panels through the drum sander to flatten. No way you could plane those panels on a normal planer. I like this jointer so much I'm finally seriously considering converting my 20 inch planer to a spiral head. Hard to do when the head cost nearly as much as I've got in the planer but it is worth it IMHO.

I've face planed an awful lot of nearly 8 inch wide red maple now and those cutters haven't even begun to show they need rotating yet. I'm sold. I'm afraid to look to see what replacement cutters will cost for carbide but we'll cross that bridge when we get there I guess.

Oh - and if you looked at the 8 inch jointer at the IWF in Atlanta last year - you looked at my jointer. That's where I got this one. I liked the looks of about all the stuff Oliver had on display - even if it does come from overseas. Their planers looked particularly good.

Andrew Hughes
09-15-2011, 1:49 PM
Thanks Rick,For responding back,i should have been clear why i was asking.I too have the 8 inch oliver jointer last month i turned the inserts on the last side.Spent some time pricing a new set and found the bryd inserts will work.I too have a planer with bryd head so i checked the fit.Looks like everything is correct except the seating of the screws.
I used up the inserts on some rough teak last year.Probably not going to do that again.I love the species but it destroys everything.Thanks again andrew

Cody Armstrong
01-04-2013, 2:01 PM
Hello to everyone,
Found this older thread and would like to know if anyone has experience with one of Oliver's wide belt sanders. I'm in the market and have been looking pretty hard at a new 37" single head. Any advice or opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cody

Steven Hsieh
01-04-2013, 2:07 PM
Hello to everyone,
Found this older thread and would like to know if anyone has experience with one of Oliver's wide belt sanders. I'm in the market and have been looking pretty hard at a new 37" single head. Any advice or opinions on these would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cody

From what I know they are made in the same factory where grizzly sanders are also made.

I dont think it will be better or worse than grizzly sander. Just repaint and rebranded.

Cody Armstrong
01-04-2013, 2:17 PM
From what I know they are made in the same factory where grizzly sanders are also made.

I dont think it will be better or worse than grizzly sander. Just repaint and rebranded.
Ok, thanks Steven. I don't want to derail this thread by asking about other brands. I guess I'll start a a new thread on the subject.