PDA

View Full Version : A/C Surround - Outdoor Woodwork w/ Pic

Lars Thomas
04-20-2003, 6:51 PM
Here's an attempt to apply furniture construction techniques to an outdoor project. No way would my neighbors let me get away with a toe-nailed PT Pine surround. Soooo, I used cedar 4x4 posts and 2x4 and 2x6 to construct this Air Conditioner surround.

Construction: First I machined all the wood square, then cut the stock to length (and width). It is all M&T construction with shop-made latticework. The top of the lattice is captured in a standard dado. The backside of the bottom dado is removed to allow water to drain. The post caps were first routed, and then cut the top pyramid on the table saw (while screwed to supplemental fence). The 'arch' on the top rail is both glued and screwed (pocket).

In an effort to keep the 'feet' dry, I've put it on a few inches of small stones. Hopefully this will add a few years to its life.

As soon as we get a few dry days, I'll be putting a semi-transparent stain on it to match our deck.

Any feedback you have to offer is certainly appreciated - especially criticism.

As you can see from the photo, spring is just now arriving in Chicago (thankfully). Lars

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-20-2003, 8:51 PM
Mighty fancy for a Condensing Unit Surround....................but I really like it! Won't affect air flow to the condensing unit, but breaks it up enough to be effective. Great concept & execution...........nice Pic too.......thanks for sharing! :D

David Ripley
04-21-2003, 2:22 PM
Lars, wish you were my neighbor. It looks great, that`s a lot of work for a surround, hope your neighbors appreciate what you have done. Thanks for showing. David

Dan McGuire
04-21-2003, 5:43 PM
Lars,

Very Nice work. I don't know what corner of Chicago you are located, but it appears from that bush in the picture, that spring is further along there than in my corner then in my corner of Chicago.

Dan:D