PDA

View Full Version : Gold Spray Paint for Plexi

Martin Boekers
09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
I have had no luck with finding a spray paint gold that will stick to plexi.

I talked with Krylon and they were of no help. I asked if they made a primer
that would work and then I could use a regular gold with it. They said no!
Not much on tech support sort of dissapointing. I'll try the rustoleum folks next.

Any Ideas would be appreciated!

Darryl Hazen
09-13-2011, 1:02 PM
Martin,

How about using Krylon's Fusion paint as a primer as it will etch into the plexi. Then use regular gold on top of the fusion. I haven't tried it. Just a thought.

Martin Boekers
09-13-2011, 1:26 PM
That was suggested, but they couldn't guarentee it would work. plus the said it may take multiple coats with sanding inbetween.
and a few days to cure inbetween. Rustoleum makes a version I found online, I'll check at Loews tonight and see if they carry it.
Walmart didn't. I only have about a week to get this done so not much time for experimentation. Testors has small cans, but at $6 for 3oz yikes!
I will check automotive paint too but may be expensive. I may have to overnight some Rustoleum if I can't find it local.

I noticed your shield are you out of Nellis AFB?

lee chitwood
09-13-2011, 1:34 PM
Any canned spray paint will usually craze the edges with small cracks.
I have had good luck with Sherwin-Williams industrial acrylic enamels. Thin a little use airbrush or a "critter" to spray.

Mike Null
09-13-2011, 2:52 PM
Martin

I just did a job with Krylon metallic gold. I used it on the Corian panels I engraved for Ron Bontz which are pictured elsewhere on this forum. I looked long and hard for an acrylic paint with no success but this one said ok for plastic so.......

I was pretty pleased with the result as Ron had pre-finished the Corian and rather than waste all his work I masked the panels with transfer paper, engraved and sprayed, cleaning with an air gun first before painting. I then peeled and scraped away the transfer paper and had zero paint pull away from the Corian. I used water as a lubricant for my plastic scrapers and was able to preserve the nice finish Ron had put on the Corian.

You can see it at the Edwardsville firehouse.

Martin Boekers
09-13-2011, 3:31 PM
Thanks Mike,

I tracked this down locally so I sent my boss out to get a few cans ;-)

www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=181 (http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=181)

We'll see how it works! I'm using this on letters. I am making letters 6" tall out of .25" black acrylic then,
next I am cutting a .15 internal contour out of the .25" black also. Then I am spraying iI'm that gold and with
double stick tape mounting it to the other piece. Giving it a dimensional gold letter with a black outline.
This is a quotation that is going in a Command Level conference room. Like usual here they need it now
then send me scrambling! :-)

Joe Pelonio
09-14-2011, 7:59 AM
I have a can of that paint (nickel color) on my workbench right now, used it on some plastic parts and it worked great.
Takes longer to dry than Krylon, but leaves a nice finish.

Chuck Stone
09-14-2011, 8:21 AM
Any canned spray paint will usually craze the edges with small cracks.
I have had good luck with Sherwin-Williams industrial acrylic enamels. Thin a little use airbrush or a "critter" to spray.

you can 'anneal' the plexi to get rid of the stress and crazing (provided your parts are small enough to fit!)
Pop them in an oven at 180ºF for an hour per mm. Then turn off the oven without opening the door and let
it cool to room temp. 180º isn't that hot, probably close to the lowest setting on the oven (Warm)
Make sure you have adequate ventilation. I never noticed any fumes, but that could be because I
sniff polyester resins for breakfast

Martin Boekers
09-14-2011, 9:45 AM
I haven't had any issues with crazing from Fusion, but that is designed for plastic.

I got the copper from Rustoleum and I thought it looked great! I liked the texture of the metal more than Fusion.
I found the gold version locally yesterday and got a test out last night. Gold didn't have the texture but still looked nice.

I should get the word today by noon, then get the Acrylic in I figure about 25 hours of laser time. YeeHa!!!

Has any one tried the Stone Finish rattle can on acrylic? I have a project I am designing that I think it would look really cool on.

Adam Mufford
09-16-2011, 2:18 AM
I've used the Rustoleum Metallic Gold (7270 Gold Rush metallic). Sticks good, it would look great but I have the micro cracking problem showing in the plexi.

I'm guessing the 'anneal' is before lasering? I might have to try that, but I don't want it brittle.

Dan Hintz
09-16-2011, 5:52 AM
Annealing is after lasering... you are relieving the stress in the plastic after beating on it with a focused high-heat source.