PDA

View Full Version : Odd Mortiser thing..

Rick Fisher
09-13-2011, 1:55 AM
Whenever I use my mortiser, I always wonder.. why is the bed not higher..

In order to mortise a 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" Table leg.. I have to put 3/4" - 1" thick stock under the leg.. Its like the chisel stops 1-1/2" above the table top..

I wonder if I should have longer chisels .. lol

I checked the travel, its maxed out.. why would this be ? What would be wrong with it stopping 1/2" from the table top .. Is this normal, or am I unique ?

johnny means
09-13-2011, 9:13 AM
In order to do that you would have to bring the head closer to the table, thus decreasing maximum work piece height. Increasing the throw would increase the price substantially. What model do you own? Many have an adjustable head.

Gregory King
09-13-2011, 9:28 AM
Rick, not sure what make you have, but sounds like the riser block is installed. Our Delta model has a removable one. It does however, take a few minutes to change. Four bolts in all.

Rick Fisher
09-13-2011, 9:52 AM
Its a " Canwood " floor model. Basically like Cantek .. but a Canadian Importer.. lol

I will give it a closer look, perhaps there is something I can do ..

Trent Shirley
09-13-2011, 10:26 AM
As johnny means said above, bringing the head closer to the table will likely reduce your maximum work height.
It may be better to leave it at it's max height and make yourself a flattened spacer to use when you have to mortise deeper. Unless of course the height it is at now is significantly higher than you ever think you will need to use it.