PDA

View Full Version : Deltal Unisaw 30" or 52"

Roger Barga
02-24-2005, 2:35 AM
Looking for an answer to the eternal question, is bigger better?...

Tomorrow I plan to place an order for a Delta Unisaw (stealthy pre-gloat) but I am debating whether to get the 30" model or the 52" model. The price from WWS is the same, but it's the space it will consume that is giving me pause. You see, I currently share our two car garage with my wife's car and will have to do so for a year or two until I can muster up the courage, time and $$$ to build a shop. So the extra 20+" is room for a jointer or future tool in my shop. My woodworking to date hasn't involved a lot of sheet goods and it's hard to imagine needing a 52" table for ripping or crosscutting hardwood (that's what I have a mitre saw and Festool circular saw for). So I would appreciate hearing from those of you more experienced than I on whether I will "kick myself" a few years later for ordering the smaller table size.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-24-2005, 6:13 AM
You can get along just fine with the smaller...but I can't imagine you'd ever regret getting the 52".

KC

Randy Figg
02-24-2005, 6:46 AM
Get the 52 with wheels. I have the same set up(two car garage) and I have a 52. I use the extra length more than I ever thought. I just move the saw when a car comes in. I also have a 8" jointer on wheels.

Randy

Tim Morton
02-24-2005, 6:57 AM
You might be able to install the 50" rails in a way that might allow you to put a router table on the left side and then but the right side against a wall to save space. then. That way the saw would be taking up the same amount of room as if you had the 30" rails and a router table. I have read where people have shifted the rails to the left like that. But...30" would be fine. I could not decide when I ordewred my new biesemeyer fence, so I comprimised and got the 40" home version. I like to be able to slide the fence out of the way when its not needed, as opposed to taking it on and off, so thats another reason to get the 50.

Bob Aquino
02-24-2005, 8:27 AM
Very few people ever regret having more capacity in a tool. Most folks find a use for the space under the extension table. In my case I have a roll around tool chest base that sits nicely under it and straddles the bar to the outboard legs. What I find is that the far right of the saw accumulates junk but I still have enough space to slide the fence out and cut. Get the saw with the 52" commercial fence and be happy.

Kelly C. Hanna
02-24-2005, 9:22 AM
Get the 52"...if I had a do-over versus the sliding table on my Grizz, I'd get the 52" fence.

Mike Vermeil
02-24-2005, 9:35 AM
I had the long fence rails in a 1.5 car garage for 3 or 4 years, and never regreted giving up the space. What you gain in utility from the saw is worth it in my book. And considering that bench space is usually at a premium in a garage workshop, having the extra surface area to set things comes in handy quite often (although I never use the top of my saw as a workbench of course - just don't ask my saw).

Matt Meiser
02-24-2005, 9:47 AM
I have a 30" fence and continually find that I can't quite break down a 4x8 sheet the way I need to. I end up having to get out my circ. saw, edge guide, etc. for one or two cuts. I'm considering trying to find a set of longer rails.

Mark Singer
02-24-2005, 9:53 AM
I have a 52 PM 66 and I wish it were bigger !

Michael Gabbay
02-24-2005, 9:57 AM
I have a contractor saw with 30" B-myer and I'm seriously considering buying the longer rails for a 52". You always need the extra inches especially if you are working with sheet goods. Definately get the mobile base so you can move it out of the way when you need to.

my 2 cents....

Mike

JayStPeter
02-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I have a 52" and like it. Since I got the Festool, I haven't really used the entire capacity. But, I have gone out to 36" or so a couple times. Having the extra table to toss push sticks, parts for batch operations, etc. is nice. I wouldn't want the smaller saw.
In my "half a two car garage" shop, I had the right side of the saw against the wall and my 6" jointer along the left side. A car still fit in fine. An 8" jointer wouldn't have fit there well.

Jay

Corvin Alstot
02-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Get the 52 with wheels. I have the same set up(two car garage) and I have a 52. I use the extra length more than I ever thought. I just move the saw when a car comes in.
I have the same set up. Put the big tools on wheels and your small shop will seem much bigger. I think you will also enjoy the larger capacity at some point.

Scott Parks
02-24-2005, 1:30 PM
Since you have the Festool saw, you can do without the 50". But for the $50 more for the 50", you cant go wrong. That's a bargain. Even if you wanted to upgrade to the longer table in the future, you couldn't do it for that price. You won't regret having the extra table space. My vote is to get the Beisemeyer fence.
Good luck!

Lars Thomas
02-24-2005, 2:02 PM
Consider what you might be building an dbuy the saw accordingly. I make a lot of cabinets and find the 50" to be perfect. I also use the top for assembly sometimes. Build your router table into the extension, then you really aren’t taking up any ‘additional’ room (when compared to a 30” saw and separate router table)

I would definitely get the 50". If you get it and hate it, you could always cut down the rails - you can't exactly stretch them.

Roger Barga
02-24-2005, 5:04 PM
Thanks everyone for providing your opinions...

I am going to pull the trigger and buy the Unisaw, left tilt, with the Biesemeyer fence and 52" table. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for santa to arrive ;-)

Cheers,
Roger

Norman Hitt
02-24-2005, 6:01 PM
Thanks everyone for providing your opinions...

I am going to pull the trigger and buy the Unisaw, left tilt, with the Biesemeyer fence and 52" table. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for santa to arrive ;-)

Cheers,
Roger

"Excellent" decision, IMHO. Congrats on the new saw, and have Fun with your new projects.

Christopher Stahl
02-24-2005, 8:36 PM
You'll be happy with the cutting capacity. Congrats on your choice!

chris