PDA

View Full Version : School of hard knocks [part 2] -the rescue

Roger Chandler
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I posted on the other thread about the tenon breaking on that Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree burl..........well I went back to it this evening...........put the thing back on the lathe.......this time between centers, and remade the tenon [soaked it generously in CA glue] and of course had to cut the whole thing down a good bit.

The punky wood was still an issue..........sooooo, I decided to just put 3 heavy coats of shellac on the thing and stiffen it all up............big difference!

It is now in rough out stage......I went to put it into the DNA to soak for a couple of days..........too big for my 5 gallon bucket of DNA..........so I put some shavings in a plastic bag and put some in the bowl center, and will revisit tomorrow, and put some DNA in the bag with the shavings also.........or maybe get me a bigger plastic container.

Here are a few pics of the rescue...........

Of course.........having to cut the thing down in size to get rid of the broken rim, and a lot of the very punky areas, it was necessary to change the shape a bit, and now it is about 12 inches in diameter, where it was about 16" and I had to remove the ogee shape and go with a more traditional shape on the bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Looks like you got a handle on it Roger. Hope it holds up to finish.