PDA

View Full Version : Another request for info on 46-460

Tom Wilson66
09-12-2011, 8:33 PM
The motor on my Jet 1014vs just threw a magnet, and the shops I took it to said it is shot (meaning costs as much to fix as to buy new). Looking at the prices on the cost of a new motor caused me to do something I have been thinking about for a while, which is ordering a Delta 46-460:) Found one on Amazon for $600 with free shipping:D Will be here next week.
My question is: what is the bolt pattern for the base? I will be needing to rebuild my stand, and can use these dimensions to size the top. Any help will be appreciated. Hopefully, will have pics next week of the lathe, stand and lots of curlies.

Jim Sebring
09-13-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure of the bolt hole dimensions, but they are much closer together (widthwise) than the Jet is. The 46-460 won't fit on the Rikon stand I have my 1014 mounted on.

Russell Eaton
09-13-2011, 7:50 AM
Tom PSI sells a variable speed and motor for around 100$. It will take another lathe to make the template to install it. I have done it on a friends lathe and the mod worked great. I think the VS increased the upper rpm some. Just a thought. Fix the Jet and get the Delta.

Tom Wilson66
09-13-2011, 9:37 PM
Jim, looking at the pictures of the Delta, it appeared the bolt holes are closer together, thanks for the confirmation. I am more worried about the distance between them lengthwise, want to make an opening in the top of the stand for curlies to fall into, and not have so much buildup under the latthe. Might actually be able to put a tool under the lathe bed and be able to see it!
Russell, I thought of the PSI motor, and may go that way later. Would give me two lathes. But have also been really wanting to get the Delta for some time now. It just seems to have a lot better specs and will not be too big for my shop.

Paul Merrill
09-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Tom, Delta currently has a $50 rebate on that lathe. You can download the rebate slip on line.