PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Japanese Plane Blade

Dale Osowski
09-12-2011, 8:02 PM
This may be old news for some but I just came across it today: http://japantool-iida.com/plane_smoothing/2011/09/tunesaburo-tapping-out-mainten.html

David Weaver
09-12-2011, 8:38 PM
Yeah, stu tierney has been touting those for a while. That will be an especially valuable aspect on the mild steel / HSS and powder HSS combos that are out there.

It's funny that odates book is fairly old and he mentions something along the lines of some makers experimenting with those irons, and a mainline maker is finally offering them in several different planes.

Stuart Tierney
09-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, stu tierney has been touting those for a while. That will be an especially valuable aspect on the mild steel / HSS and powder HSS combos that are out there.

It's funny that odates book is fairly old and he mentions something along the lines of some makers experimenting with those irons, and a mainline maker is finally offering them in several different planes.

That *might* have something to do with the signed hardcover copy of the book the folks at Tsunesaburo offered to give me...

Or perhaps not.

;)

Just to put it on the record, the HSS blades should never EVER be tapped out for any reason. They're not welded but bonded, and the HSS has so little give it'll separate from the backing steel if they're tapped out.

Which is why they're all available with uradashifuyoh (translation; tapping out not needed) backs.

Got one on it's way now actually, purpose built for smoothing out hard exotics in a land where hard exotic woods grow on trees. :)

(No, not Oz.)

Stu.

Tim Put
09-13-2011, 4:38 PM
I suspected that would be the form of the blade when I first saw Stu mention them. On a smaller scale I do that to my own western plane irons, maintaining a slightly (lengthwise) hollow back just along the final 1/8" or so.

IMO, it's the best reason to use a Tormek or the like. Hollow grind the bevel (high-speed is fine for that), hollow-grind the back (where the wet-grinder comes in handy), then a half-dozen passes on the fine abrasive of your choice and it's done.