PDA

View Full Version : Djinni's Bottle

Thom Sturgill
09-12-2011, 3:42 PM
Been a while since I posted. This is my latest, which I call Djinni's Bottle and was inspired by the old TV show "I dream of Jeannie".
I have been busy, but not turning. I retired at the end of the month last month and we are house hunting and packing. We are under contract for a house with a wired, enclosed pole barn that will need little work to turn into a shop. 20x30 with 12' walls and a separate 8x20 metal bldg attached.

Not sure what the wood is except that it is locally cut here in Florida. The 'stopper' is mahogany and maple. Finish is not complete as I will buff out the top portion and probably do a few more coats of lacquer on the stopper. C & C welcome, of course.

Roger Chandler
09-12-2011, 3:46 PM
Nice form Thom..........congrats on your retirement and hope you can get your new shop up and going before long.

John Keeton
09-12-2011, 3:50 PM
Thom, this is really a neat form! I like the whole concept. Did you hollow it from the bottom? Dimensions?

Congrats on the probability of having a nice shop and outbuilding arrangement. Are you staying in FL?

Don Orr
09-12-2011, 4:15 PM
Very cool-sounds like you got all 3 wishes granted-retirement, new house, new shop. Enjoy all of them!

dean griffith
09-12-2011, 4:32 PM
Beautiful job Thom ! Looks awsome. Good luck on retirement too.

Thom Sturgill
09-12-2011, 4:52 PM
Knew I forgot something. The bottle, sans stopper, is 9" tall aprox. 4" diameter and 3/16" thick in the bottom portion. It was bottom hollowed and drilled form the top and then the flair opened. Would not have been possible without the Jeff Nicols steady, but still plenty of pucker factor when the CA holding the bottom plig (and tenon) gave way. Had to re-face the cuts and then glued with tite-bond, re-mounted and finished turning.

The stopper is also hollowed.

And yes, John, we are staying in Florida - it's where the gand-kids are !! We had planned moving back to the NC mountains for years, but plans changed. The house is a short sale and we are buying using the pay-out from deferred retirement and paid vacation and sick pay plus back pay from a VA disability. So if the bank accepts our offer we will own the house out-right with no mortgage and still have about $10K to fit out the shop.
{{fingers crossed}}

Jim Burr
09-12-2011, 8:24 PM
Woo Hoo!! That would be cool Thom! and the bottle is really cool! I've had bad luck with CA holding much. I just use it now for pen barrels and gap filling which of course, it excells at. I had an old...I mean old! customer call me last week saying the finish on his 8yr old pen was wearing off...it's a CA finish. I told him to send it back and I'd fix it. He said "Ok...,but I want to buy 3 more just like it" CA is good for a few things, but not a genie bottle!!
Hope the house works out!

David E Keller
09-12-2011, 8:33 PM
Pretty cool! I love that beaded bottom! Congrats on retirement!

Baxter Smith
09-12-2011, 9:35 PM
That is a neat looking bottle and congras on the retirement. Sounds like it will include a nice shop!

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2011, 9:44 PM
That is a really nice and interesting piece Thom.

Curt Fuller
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Wow Thom, that brought back some memories. Barbara Eden really used to make my heart go pitter patter when I was young. Very cool turning and I hope all your wishes come true in your retirement and new home and shop.

Bill Bolen
09-12-2011, 10:50 PM
A really cool piece and welcome to the retirees club! Now......if I rub it will Barbara Eden jump out? If so I can be on my way to Florida in about 30 minutes!!