PDA

View Full Version : Plane question

Robby Phelps
02-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I am getting going in the hand tool realm. Being trained in my uncles power tool dominate shop, has left me quite ignorant to the joys of hand tools. I picked up my first block plane two years ago and it has been very useful and fun to use. I then picked up a set of spokeshaves and they have become my favorite tools in the shop especially when i make my rocking chairs. I now want to expand my tool arsenal with some more planes and wanted to ask the group wether they prefer the metal type planes (Lie Nielson) or the wooden type. I was reading Mark Singer's post about the purple heart plane he recieved from Steve Knight. I used to live in the portland area and have seen his planes and they are beautiful and feel wonderful in the hand. I am leaning towards the wooden planes but wanted to get everyones opinion.

Thanks in advance.

John Bailey
02-24-2005, 6:21 AM
Robby,

Check out the Neanderthal Haven Forum. Those guys are very knowlegable and will have lots of opinions and information.

John

Jeff Sudmeier
02-24-2005, 8:22 AM
Yep, hopefully one of the friendly moderators will be along shortly to move your topic for you.