PDA

View Full Version : PVC 2" x 4" ?

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2011, 1:57 PM
Is there such a thing? I have a need for some dimensional PVC, but I need it to be a little more sound that the stuff I have seen at the box stores, that's more of a foam than anything on the inside. Are there any options for things like plastic 2" x 4"s . I suppose I could use the hollow ones if needed, but they need to be pretty tough. So maybe a thick wall PVC or something?

Any suggestions?

Prashun Patel
09-12-2011, 2:00 PM
Google UHMW Plastic. Some places sell bricks of this stuff. Can be pricey if you're building anything large though; it's intended for jigs.

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2011, 2:16 PM
Can't go the UHMW route, it's too expensive for what I need. I need about 24' of it for each project. 24' of UHMW would break my bank :)

I could do hollow with end caps or something.

Dave Anderson NH
09-12-2011, 3:45 PM
Scott, please define your needs in a little more detail. The PVC you seen in the stores as lumber is usually a structural foam with a very thin solid PVC skin. It is structural only in the sense that it becomes stiff and rigid as the interior of something like a epoxy/glass or polyester/glass laminate. Note that an 8 ft length held horizontally in the middle will droop significantly at both ends. Solid Type I PVC cut from 1.5" thick sheet would also be extremely expensive though it could possible be cut for you by your local plastics distributor if they stock that thickness. This would work, but be prepared for sticker shock since depending on the supplier it would have to be cut from either a 4 x 8 foot sheet or a 1 x2 meter sheet.

Rick Moyer
09-12-2011, 5:06 PM
Azek and Koma both make lots of sizes. I'd suspect you could glue up two pcs to get what you need, depending on your application.

Scott Shepherd
09-12-2011, 7:23 PM
I need to build a lightweight frame for something to sit on, that will be outside. Probably in the area of 2 1/2' x 3 3/4' in size. So something like 2" x 4", turned on edge, would be perfect. It won't have any real weight or people stepping on it or anything.

I have some 1" thick PVC sheet and I cut some pieces on my router, which worked out fine, but it was also out of a $250 sheet of material I had left over from a job. They liked the prototype and now want to see what we can come up with for a production model.

Walter Plummer
09-12-2011, 9:06 PM
I found these guys. http://plasticlumberyard.com/plasticlumber.htm Not sure how it compares to your sheet goods or what freight might be.

Shawn Pixley
09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
You might want to consider fiberglass unistrut.