PDA

View Full Version : Monster Articulated Hollowing System

Prashun Patel
09-12-2011, 1:34 PM
I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this.

This system gets excellent reviews from folks here. But I can't find much specific praise for it besides the fact that there are no aftermarket add-ons one has to purchase; it comes complete.

Besides this, what do fans of the system like about the Monster vis-a-vis other systems (which curiosly also have a lot of fans).

Vernon Oberle
09-12-2011, 1:44 PM
I purchased the monster this year and really like it. The only thing I wish it had was a 3/4" hole instead of a 5/8" hole. Not a big problem as I made adapters for my 1/2" tools and made a new 5/8" set of tools that allow me to get into smaller pieces. Randy is a great guy to work with.

Vernon

Jamie Donaldson
09-12-2011, 1:56 PM
Vernon- do you know that Randy already makes a 5/8">3/4" step up adapter that allows me to use my Jordan hollowers in my Monster, along with the other 3/4" cutters I have collected over the years?

John Keeton
09-12-2011, 2:20 PM
Prashun, I think what you will find is that folks that own a particular system made that purchase based on their research and study, and belief that the system purchased was right for the work they do. Not all articulated systems are alike, and there are subtle differences (and, some not so subtle) that one can only surmise by hands on experience with the systems. That is the great thing about going to an event where several vendors are present with their systems.

I have looked at many of them, have handled quite a few, and I chose the Monster because of the following factors - the machining is top notch, the system works very smooth, the weight is light enough to be easily handled in my shop, it is easily stored, the design is well conceived, and Randy is a super guy to work with. I also like the interchangability of the various cutters, and the ability to use other tools with it. As Jamie noted, he uses some Jordan tools with his, and a variety of other cutters.

That said, there are other systems on the market that are well made, and well designed, but for reasons specific to the work I do, they do not meet my needs.

Roger Chandler
09-12-2011, 2:38 PM
I have had my monster system going on nearly a year.........I really like mine Prashun. One thing I did recently was had a new boring bar made for mine. A guy who is in our local club also has a machine shop and makes boring bars......they are 1 inch wide and 7/8" deep. Mine is 24 inches long and that rectangle shape will allow me to go to about 18" deep with the correct tool rest configuration. He turned the tang down so it would fit in the socket hole of the monster rig. It is solid as a rock and the monster system works well with it.

I also like all the different cutter bits..........makes the rig very adaptable to what ever the needs are.

Jim Burr
09-12-2011, 2:50 PM
I have both of Randys systems. I hadn't checked out the others...but I had used the Monster before I bought mine. Although I do small stuff, the big one is great when needed!

Prashun Patel
09-12-2011, 3:01 PM
I am just getting into hollow forms. Truth be told, I'm really just doing slightly closed mouth bowls. But I know the Vortex and I know me, and I know where this is headed. I was originally looking at free hand hollowers. But most people say they only have them until they can afford an articulated system.

What I'm really looking for is something to take the tedium out of hollowing. Some things that will be big plusses for me:

1) fast hollowing
2) easy sharpening
3) easy set up
4) easy angling under the lip
5) easy depth gauging

I fear that since these tools are mostly scraping, hollowing won't be particularly faster vis-a-vis a gouge (just with less pucker).

Please confirm. (also thanks to Rick who gave me his thoughts on some of this already).

Oh yeah, also will this make it easier to hollow out end grain forms vis-a-vis a gouge? I've had a devil of a time with that, and having a better tool will really open up possibilities 4 me.

Jamie Donaldson
09-12-2011, 4:37 PM
You forgot 1 of my favorite criteria about the Monster- it's shiny!!!!! It's BEAUTIFULLY MADE and SHINY!!! I've been hollowing since taking a class with Ellsworth in 1990, and freehand hollowing is 1 of the reasons I have a surgical scar on my R elbow, so the articulated SHINY Monster is therapeutic for me, and did I mention that it's also pretty and SHINY!!!!!

Fred Belknap
09-12-2011, 5:50 PM
Pashun I have had the Monster a few months and it is a great tool, well made and Randy is great to work with. My laser quit working and he had me a new one in a couple days. You might be disappointed in the depth you can work easily with the Monster, anything over 6 or 7" will give you quite a bit of vibration. I am looking to go with a heavier bar. The laser is great but is kind of a PITA to get aligned. I'm thinking you will like it but I haven't tried any other system.

David E Keller
09-12-2011, 5:59 PM
I've got the monster, and I've been quite happy with it. With the stock bars and cutters, I find anything over 6 inches to be a bit of a challenge and anything over 8" to be impossible with my skills. Larger bars would quite possibly fix that limitation. I generally do smaller forms, so the monster system suits me well. If I were planning on making forms larger than 9", I'd consider the Gizmo or Kobra systems... I've not used either, but they seem to be built for larger stuff. I still enjoy hand hollowing at times, so I bought the handle from Randy to allow for using his bars by hand.

Thom Sturgill
09-12-2011, 8:05 PM
I guess I'll be the contrarian. I built my own designed along similar lines, but designed to take a larger bar so that it interchanges with the hand held and captured systems I have. I will admit that I have not SEEN the monster, Randy has not been to any of the symposia that I have been to. I will also freely admit that mine is probably not as stable and the monster would be a good upgrade. Maybe once I get the shop set up.....

I think that once people start using an articulated (or captured) system they wonder why they waited, and tend to buy what they have seen or have positive reviews on.

Jon Nuckles
09-12-2011, 9:25 PM
Hi Prashun,

I have had the monster articulated system for about 8 months and I have only used it 5 or 6 times, because I have not developed the patience to hollow with it. It may be as fast as any other method for creating hollow forms; I don't know, as I have not tried doing them freehand or using any other system. I make bowls with in-curving rims using my bowl gouge, and I wouldn't even think of breaking out the monster for something I can accomplish with a gouge because it is soooooo much faster with a gouge. This might be because I have not mastered the technique, and I do intend to use it more in the future. I chime in here mostly because you mention "fast hollowing" at the top of your list and it sure doesn't seem fast to me.

The system is well made and my only complaint is that the instructions don't give you much guidance on how to use it. Reading the posts of others who have the system suggests that everyone has his/her own technique, so instructions might be hard to write. I sure would like to find an experienced user to show me the ropes on it, though!

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2011, 9:52 PM
Prashun I have had mine for two yrs now. I was the second or third one Randy sent out. About a month ago he sent me several pieces that have been updated since I got mine. The laser works great and gives you a accurate thickness. The hollowing IMHO isn't so much faster but it sure does make it easier. Easier since I have arthritis in my hands and shoulders. You don't get beat up as much as with the hand held units. Sharpening is really easy as I have my platform setup and just take out the bit, hit it on the wheel and back to hollowing. Setup is easy and hollowing under the lip is easy with the swivel head. I have adapters to go from 5/8" to 1/2" and from 5/8" to 3/4" so it will accept most of my other hollowing tools. As I said it makes hollowing for me a pleasure now. After service is great.

Roger Turnbough
09-13-2011, 8:49 AM
I have been using my Monster more and more in the recent months. It is a fine tool, but as some have noted, setting the laser is sometimes problematic. I have one question for the more experienced users though. How are you setting the base that holds the articulating part? Are you setting it up so the post is towards the headstock, or towards the tailstock? Or does it really make a difference on how this part is set up?

Had another catch yesterday while using it and snapped off the swivel head for the 3/16 cutter. So I am kind of dead in the water at the moment for undercutting the rims. Using the monster sure takes the physical abuse out of hollowing for me.

Roger

Prashun Patel
09-13-2011, 8:57 AM
Broken record alert: I LOVE THIS FORUM.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to purchase one.

Terry Gerros
09-13-2011, 1:21 PM
Prashun,

I have posted some comments on The Gizmo by JT Turning Tools. Beefier than the Monster, and I think you will spend less money. It is drilled to hold a 3/4" bar with an adapter to go to 5/8". There are 3 bars available: 5/8, 3/4, and 1" so you can easily go 18" off the tool rest. Extremely well machined, all articulations are with bearings so it moves ever so smoothly. Check it out before you pull the trigger.

Regards,
Terry

Any questions, give me a call: 503-580-5013.

Vernon Oberle
09-13-2011, 1:28 PM
I already have a metal lathe and mill, etc. So small things are not a problem for me.

Vernon

Prashun Patel
09-13-2011, 1:30 PM
I can't find the Gizmo on JT's website. They announce it in the text, but there's no link to purchase it.

Richard Kennedy UK
09-13-2011, 2:12 PM
Yeah I went to the website but couldnt find and info about the Gizmo I was sold on the monster but on seeing the extra capability I am now not so sure! So much choice but the vortex is so strong....

John Beaver
09-13-2011, 3:51 PM
I can't find the Gizmo on JT's website. They announce it in the text, but there's no link to purchase it.

Terry put up a nice post this morning with pictures. I have a set of pictures and prices from Tom that I can email to you - pm me with an email address and I can forward them to you.

Rob Sitze
09-13-2011, 6:11 PM
Can't wait, my Monster is on it's way.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Followup:
I have had the Monster for about a month now. I just wanted to say that I really like it and do not regret the purchase at all.

For those with the same issues as I had, here's what I found out through use:

1) fast hollowing: Yes, it's fast - not as fast as a gouge, but a lot more stable. You just can't get yr gouge more than an inch or two into a hollow form, vase, or deep bowl bkz the tool rest won't reach. In those situations, the gouge will catch. This doesn't catch that easy.

2) easy sharpening: I found a learning curve with this. Everyone has their own method. I prefer to free hand it on the wheel, bevel side down. There's a tendency to 'flatten' the nose, which results in less aggressive cutting. The angle, though is not that critical, and I find it quick and easy now to free-hand sharpen it on the wheel. The cutter removes from the tip with a single set screw and allen wrench. Quick as it can be - except when you lose yr allen wrench (DAMHIKT).

3) easy set up: Yes. Storing it is a pain, since the laser post prevents the arm from fully collapsing during storage. It's more awkward to mount than other accessories, since you have to hold the arms closed (without pinching yr fingers) while guiding the clamp into the ways. But I wouldn't say this is a nuissance.

4) easy angling under the lip: Yes. There are 2 angled cutters. One large fixed @ 45, and one small pivoting. Both are easy to swap in/out with the straight cutter.

5) easy depth gauging: Yes. The laser makes this easy. However, I find that you develop a feel for depth and thickness. I'm not sure how everyone else does it, but a lot of my HF smoothing and thicknessing is done by feel. The laser is good insurance, though - and probably more useful when you turn very thin.

There are only two minor negatives to the system IMHO:

1) Storage - any solutions out there? I'm sure this is a prob with ANY hollowing rig.

2) Laser: My laser tends to rotate a little off the tip during use; I have to check it frequently to make sure it's on point. Any solutions out there?

John M. Smith
11-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Prashun, I just got the Monster hollower and it does look awkward to store. I am thinking of building a bracket so I can hang it by the base on the wall and just let the rest of it hang down.

Rob Sitze
11-22-2011, 1:40 PM
Mine just sits in a drawer of my turning cabinet.

Joe Bradshaw
11-22-2011, 1:49 PM
I have a wire shelving unit that I got from the BORG and I just lay my Monsters flat on the top shelf.

Roger Chandler
11-22-2011, 2:06 PM
I screwed a 12 inch piece of 2x4 pine to the studs on my wall at 90 degrees........I let my monster system along with the laser just hang from that...........that way it is out of the way, next to the wall behind my lathe. I put the base over the 2x4 and let the arm, laser and all just hang...........no issues and simple.

Prashun Patel
11-22-2011, 2:26 PM
...my Monster*s*...

Didn't think I'd catch that stealth gloat, didja, Joe?!