PDA

View Full Version : considering I-6500 A80 air scrubber for Epilog Legend 36EXT

jared tarbell
09-12-2011, 1:11 PM
I have two Epilog laser engravers, a Mini 24 and a Legend 36EXT. I am reconsidering how I exhaust the lasers since I recently moved my shop into a residential neighborhood.

One option is to filter the air completely, using the Allerair I-6500 A80 Air Scrubber:
http://www.airscrubbersusa.com/epiloglegend36extlaserairscrubberpurifiercleaner.p hp

(http://www.airscrubbersusa.com/epiloglegend36extlaserairscrubberpurifiercleaner.p hp)Does anyone have any experience with this machine?

Thank you in advance!
jared

Gary Hair
09-12-2011, 1:40 PM
Wow, for over $6,000 I would build something instead of buying. Search for Dan's thread on his build and see what he created. For about 10% of the money for that scrubber you linked, you could probably build one for each machine. Just a thought.

Gary

matthew knott
09-12-2011, 1:44 PM
we had one much like this made by fumex, it worked great BUT the filters are expensive and we found they didnt last very long, in the end we pulled the fan out and used it to exhaust directrly outside. If you can exhaust outside it will be your best bet, i can see you getting to many toxic fumes, a bbq or lawn cutter will produce more. These airscrubbers normally use activated carbon and are designed to be used in large buildings where getting the fumes outside would be hard work, get a quote for spare filters and assume you will need twice as many as they recommend, if you stomach the cost + cost for unit then its a option, it would be a last resort for me!

Tim Hawk
09-12-2011, 11:23 PM
filters are expensive and we found they didn't last very long, in the end we pulled the fan out and used it to exhaust directly outside.

Totally did this with our two Epilogs as well. So much better then paying 200+ a month for each filter system.

paul mott
09-13-2011, 4:37 AM
You have to be extremely careful when located close to others in a residential area as it only takes one complaint to cause ongoing problems (it is human nature that once somebody has noticed a "smell" they sniff for it every time they go outside). You may also need to consider the noise of the exhaust as well as the scrubber filters.

Paul.

Joe Pelonio
09-13-2011, 7:57 AM
I have been operating at the house for 3 years now and have never had a complaint, when I was in a mixed retail/ industrial complex the fire department was out on complaints several times. It really depends on how far apart the homes are, and where you place the exhaust. When they came out, the fire department did not have a problem
with my laser exhaust and told the neighboring business to keep their window closed.

Mike Mackenzie
09-13-2011, 5:12 PM
I have used the Electro corp filters in the past for testing purposes and I can tell you that there are better filter systems out there for a lot less $$$$.

Try looking at BOFA, or IP systems both have decent filter systems for a lot less, Also agree with everyone else the replacement filter expense is huge hepa filters alone will cost $300.00+ about every 3-6 months and if you do any wood the hepa filters will clog in a weekend.

We learned this because of the trade shows we do. Be very specific on the materials you plan on processing and let the sales people know this they will suggest specific filter media for these materials then ask them the life span of the filters.

This should give you a good idea on your yearly costs involved.