PDA

View Full Version : Simple coffee table

Tri Hoang
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Built for the family den this coffee table is based on a couple of pics I saw via googling. The wood is Cherry with soft maple inlay. I finished it with a seal coat of shellac and 5-6 coats of Waterlox original. I love the wood as is so no stain applied.

Comments, critiques...

Dave Gaul
09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Very nice! IYAM, it would be a sin to stain something like that!

David Keast
09-12-2011, 3:02 PM
Very nice ! Quite right to leave it as is.

Prashun Patel
09-12-2011, 3:05 PM
Yes, I agree with no-color. It'll get darker and richer with each passing day anyway - even though it's beautiful as is.

Nice inlay work. and great finishing work on the top. Take the 'simple' out of the title, please...;)

Cody Colston
09-13-2011, 3:25 AM
That's a great design and even better execution. The inlay stringing really adds to the beauty of that Cherry. Like Prashun said, it will get even more beautiful as it darkens and takes on that wonderful patina of aged Cherry. Well done.

gary Zimmel
09-13-2011, 9:05 PM
Give it a few years and she will be even nicer than it is now... Nice job Tri. Bonus points on the string inlay..

Tri Hoang
09-14-2011, 12:14 AM
Thanks for your kind words, gents. This is my first project with inlay and it was a good learning experience with lots of mistakes. The Waterlox finish turns out great but it really tested my patience as I'm used to the speedy water-based (borne) stuffs and shellac.

Bruce Page
09-14-2011, 12:48 AM
Very nice Tri. Are the legs glue ups?
Where'd you get that nice cherry from?

Andrew Gibson
09-14-2011, 8:23 AM
I would hesitate to call that simple. With that level of inlay the simplicity factor goes out the window.

It should look better and better over the next few years as that cherry darkens... not that it needs to :)

Jerome Hanby
09-14-2011, 8:51 AM
I think I agree about disagreeing with the term "simple". I'm not sure "elegant" technically applies, but that's the word that comes to my mind. Great job!

Mark Valsi
09-14-2011, 3:53 PM
Very nice. I love the inlays !!!! great work !

Tri Hoang
09-14-2011, 7:07 PM
After seeing many outstanding projects here over the years, I can't help but feel humbled and somewhat intimidated about posting my work. Your hospitality is very much appreciated.

Bruce - the legs are glued up from 6/4. I got the Cherry from Lumber Products about a year ago. Those were 1st & 2nd.