PDA

View Full Version : Handled Properly

John Spitters
09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
The other day I received my Thompson gouges, a 3/8"U , 5/8"U , and a 5/8"V gouge.
I ordered the two in the 5/8 size because I wasn't too sure which I would like better, as it turns out I tend to favour the V over the U. It's not quite as agressive so a little easier to control.
The handles were made from some figured Maple, with copper pipe couplings for the feral, sanded only with 120g and a heavy single coat of antique oil for the finish.

Noah Barfield
09-12-2011, 1:16 AM
Those are some handsome handles!

John Keeton
09-12-2011, 7:48 AM
Nicely done! They would have looked better if you hadn't used that ugly curly maple!:rolleyes:;):D

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-12-2011, 8:39 AM
Don't through out that U shaped tool. You will find plenty of pieces it will do a great job. If nothing else, grind the bevel flatter and use it across the transition area in the bottom of the bowl. Both shapes are great to have.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Great looking handles. I agree with Faust the U shape with a flatter bevel does work really well when working from the transition to the bottom of bowls.

Bill Bolen
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Great looking handles on some high quality tools.

John Spitters
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I'm not saying that I don't like the U shaped tool because I tend to use them pretty much equally, I've just found that I seem to favour the V slightly over the U.
With these tools I've kept the same grind angle as they were supplied with except that I like to grind the side wings further back to help with shear cutting.
I've never measured the actual angles that I grind into my tools, I've just found ones that I like through trial and error. For finishing cuts in the bottom of deep bowls I have another 5/8 U gouge that I keep ground at a lesser angle ( more blunt ) and it does a superb job for that purpose.

John