PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy small pieces of Corian or similar material?

David Brimm
09-11-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd like to start doing some projects with Corian or similar materials (Avonite?) and am wondering where is the best place online to find pieces? I'd like pieces big enough to do things like game calls, pendants, etc.. typically slightly bigger than what I can find at Woodcraft/Rockler/Penn. I'd also like to make a few signs a bit further down the road which would require larger pieces obviously.

Suggestions on where to look?

David E Keller
09-11-2011, 11:38 PM
With a lot of the solid surface materials like corian, they're consistent throughout which allows for laminating... If done well, you won't be able to tell that they're glue-ups. I'd call a local counter installer or retailer to see about cutoffs and scraps. As for large pieces, I'm not aware of any place to get anything thicker than your traditional countertop.

Scott Hackler
09-11-2011, 11:48 PM
David is correct with the thickness. Most corian, wilson art or the like... are only 1/2 to 5/8 thick or so. Edges are built thicker by gluing strips together with a special gle that fuses the pieces together. Most of the glue is tinted to the "field" color so it becomes invisible. You can glue this stuff up to basically any thickness. A countertop or kitchen cabinet contractor should be able to source the stuff even if it's just their cut offs. For a small fee, I would bet they would gule it up for you as well.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-12-2011, 1:00 AM
Check your local cabinet shops. They will probably be more than happy to give you the sink cutouts, or end remnants. Just ask. They can only say no. And if they did, they may just charge you a small fee. Here, they charge by the ton to dump into a land fill, so you are doing them a favor........

Greg Just
09-12-2011, 7:00 AM
Kitchen installers is the best place to start. Another place to check is e-bay, although the shipping charge could be high

John Keeton
09-12-2011, 7:57 AM
Keith Outten has offered to send flat rate boxes of scraps to anyone wanting to pay the postage. Check this post in another thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172374-Dahl-Goodies!!!-fun-fun-fun&p=1773621#post1773621 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?172374-Dahl-Goodies%21%21%21-fun-fun-fun&p=1773621#post1773621)

Chris Burgess
09-12-2011, 8:03 AM
flebay has some seelers. I picked up a Larger flat rate box (a LOT of pieces can go in that box) w/ assorted sizes of 2x2, 4x2 & 4x4 for $11 pluss shipping from a seller in Hi. I can't remeber their name at this time. If you want me to dig it up shoot me a pm.

Sid Matheny
09-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Building centers that sell corian have lots of 2 X 2 and 4 X 4 samples. As colors and patterns go obsolete they take those samples and stick them in a box somewhere out of view. If you are lucky you can pick up a box full for free. Worth asking about.

Sid

David Brimm
09-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check into them and see how it goes!

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
I picked some up at our local lumber yard that sell Kitchen cabinets.

Chris Burgess
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
There is some Corian for sale on IAP. You might want to check there.

Lee Koepke
09-12-2011, 4:47 PM
All good ideas!
I got some from my local cabinet guy (who also sells me S2S boards at his wholesale rate) ... one of these days, I will turn a pen for him out of some of the stuff he gave me!

Russell Neyman
09-12-2011, 5:07 PM
Find an installer and check the dumpster behind his fabrication shop. I guarantee there will be scraps in there. I had wonderful results gluing it up with CA glue, by the way. We put it in my brother's boat galley, and later I turned a butter dish and sugar bowl with the scraps. It's tough to turn it, but not impossible.