PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Helix Laser Dead - X/Y dIsabled y

Ken Maxwell
09-11-2011, 6:46 PM
I have a Helix 45 watt and it turns on but it comes up with - X/Y dIsabled y on the display and I can't clear it. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I was running and just stopped and that was on the display. I have turned it off and on several times and it won't clear it out.

Any Help will be GREATLY appreciated

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2011, 9:45 PM
Last time I got that on my Legend it was a burned out x-motor. In my case the shaft was bent and it overheated and melted so it was pretty obvious since it wouldn't turn. It could also be the y motor or may have come off the track or jammed.

Ken Maxwell
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm thinking its the motor too. It was moving funny, kinda herky jerky. What was the cost of the motor when you bought it if you dont mind me asking?

Glen Monaghan
09-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I think the motors are in the realm of $220, plus another $50 if you also need to replace the mounting bracket.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2011, 7:58 AM
I can't give a price since it was on warranty, and came with a modification to help prevent that problem.

Mark Ross
09-12-2011, 7:58 AM
Also check to see if the pulley has come loose. They Y axis pulley is usually in the front, there are 2 allen screws that hold the pulley against the shaft. If they come loose, the motor will turn but the head doesn't go to the home position.

Duncan Crawford
09-12-2011, 8:31 AM
I have a Helix 45 watt and it turns on but it comes up with - X/Y dIsabled y on the display and I can't clear it. Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I was running and just stopped and that was on the display. I have turned it off and on several times and it won't clear it out.

Any Help will be GREATLY appreciated

Had that on my Mini-18-- the Y axis motor went bad in mid-cut-- the stepper electronics on the back of the motor fried. Mine was a warranty replacement as well. The changeout only took me about a half hour, and Epilog got the motor to me in about a day.

duncan

Bill Cunningham
09-13-2011, 8:43 PM
I replaced a burnt out x motor a few years ago, and $150 bucks seem to stick in my mind..

Ken Maxwell
09-18-2011, 7:35 AM
$220 for the Motor, wasn't all of the problem, $1000 for the mother board...........OUCH. It's running now!
Apparently Epilog recommends running the laser on a dedicated line because it draws to much power. I never knew that, and they said that might have been the problem why the board and motor both went out.

AL Ursich
09-18-2011, 1:26 PM
Brown out.... Due to too many things on a single circuit....

Mark Ross
09-20-2011, 8:44 AM
Yep...dedicate a line. We've seen weird things happen trying to do otherwise. Our saws are on 1 line, our air compressor on another, the laser on a dedicated line...

Mark Conde
06-23-2012, 3:10 PM
This was great info since I am now waiting for the motor so I can replace it.
Is it a pretty easy (straitforward) job to replace the motor?

Thanks- Mark

Joe Pelonio
06-23-2012, 5:18 PM
This was great info since I am now waiting for the motor so I can replace it.
Is it a pretty easy (straitforward) job to replace the motor?

Thanks- Mark
Yes, they send written instructions and it's easy. Just be careful not to drop screws down the sides.

Larry Bratton
06-23-2012, 5:49 PM
$220 for the Motor, wasn't all of the problem, $1000 for the mother board...........OUCH. It's running now!
Apparently Epilog recommends running the laser on a dedicated line because it draws to much power. I never knew that, and they said that might have been the problem why the board and motor both went out.
Nope, I am in the process of replacing the motherboard on my EXT as we speak, it is on a dedicated circuit. It just quit out of the clear blue sky. It was working fine one minute and the next it was dead. Had just finished a file and started to run another and had no display. No arm movement at all on the re-boot and only had one light on the board. However, I did not lose a motor that I know of. Surprised you had a display if it was the board.
Mine will be here Monday and also cost $1000 plus shipping.