PDA

View Full Version : 3M painters tape, does it leave something behind?????

Bill Huber
09-11-2011, 6:45 PM
I have to work nights one or two weeks in a row for 4 different times a year. I cannot sleep when the sun comes up and hits the bedroom windows. So what I have been doing was using painters tape to tape contractor trash bags over the windows, this blocks out the sun very well.

The problem is now after doing this for a few years the tape will not stick very well to the wall, it will just fall right off in about an hour. I bought new rolls, the 2 inch ones and still no luck. I got some of that Frog tape and it does just like the 3M does.

So it must leave something on the wall, just don't know what is or what to do about it, have any ideas???

Jerome Stanek
09-11-2011, 6:49 PM
I would get some TSP tri sodium phosphate and wash the walls down with a weak solution.

Bill Huber
09-11-2011, 7:10 PM
I would get some TSP tri sodium phosphate and wash the walls down with a weak solution.

Thanks, I will give that a try, I am sure I can get it at Ace or a paint store.

Phil Thien
09-11-2011, 8:52 PM
Depending on the type of windows you have, an alternative to the plastic bags is pieces of cardboard. I had double-hung windows and simply cut pieces large enough for the top and bottom sashes and wedged them in place when needed.

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2011, 9:43 PM
Get some black 4mm corrugated plastic, such as coroplast or corex. Any sign supply or sign shop has it. It comes in 4x8 sheets for about $20 and can be cut with a utility knife to fit snugly inside the window frame.

Phil Thien
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Get some black 4mm corrugated plastic, such as coroplast or corex. Any sign supply or sign shop has it. It comes in 4x8 sheets for about $20 and can be cut with a utility knife to fit snugly inside the window frame.

Just note that the black plastics can get pretty darn hot if facing the sun. Not only may that result in a pretty warm room, but hot black plastic in contact with vinyl window components can cause them to distort.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2011, 7:59 AM
We don't have that problem here (no sun)

Brian Elfert
09-12-2011, 9:40 AM
I don't know how long you are leaving the tape on, but they only rate it to come off for seven days or less.

I have room darkening shades that block at least 95% of the light. You might consider those instead.

Dave Gaul
09-12-2011, 9:59 AM
I used to work rotating shift work. At first, I used OSB cut to fit the windows, I edged the panels with foam and wedged them in the frame. Eventually I bought "black-out curtains" from walmart, they worked very well!

Brad Sperr
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I also use the blackout shades. You can get them cut to size at any home center, and they're pretty cheap.

Bill Huber
09-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks all, you have given me some good ideas.
Now I just have to try them and see which one works best, I have to go on nights again in October.
I do have to watch the heat, I don't want to break a window.

ray hampton
09-13-2011, 3:41 PM
bill, anything hung on a window with a dark color will increase the heat buildup, white color will reflect the heat back out of the window