PDA

View Full Version : Help with refinishing heavily carved table???

Vanessa Cox
09-11-2011, 2:01 PM
Hi,

First off, I am not an experienced refinisher and am not a woodworker. I have stripped and refinished some pieces, that's all. I have a carved table from the caribbean that needs to be refinished. The wood has some damage to it, and is very dry in some places. You can see in the picture that one third of it has some sort of fading or damage, that's the part that it seems very dry. It is in 3 pieces, held together with pegs, and must be reglued. It also needs some wood filler in various places. I've read over postings on this site, and I'm thinking about using either the Minwax Antique Oil finish or the Watco Danish Oil (people have said that the Watco is less thick and I thought that might be easier to use on this heavily carved wood). I don't want to stain it again, just want a low sheen, smooth finish. I will have a piece of glass over it so it doesn't have to be a hard lacquer or polyurethane. I'm thinking I want to just rub it with some oil to condition it and restore some color; i.e., easy! :-)

I've a picture and a close up of the part that is dry. Does anybody have any thoughts? Is that wood damage really bad? Am I moving in the wrong direction? Any help appreciated!

Vanessa

207376 207377

Scott Holmes
09-11-2011, 11:37 PM
If you want an easy process... add an oil/varnsih blend (aka Danish Oil). Wipe it on let it soak for 10 mins or so then wipe it dry. repeat the next day. Give it a couple of weeks to finish curing before you cover it with glass.

Vanessa Cox
09-12-2011, 8:48 AM
Thank you, Scott! I will start today!