PDA

View Full Version : Saw etch resource

Mark Baldwin III
09-11-2011, 1:21 PM
Does anyone know if there is a site that may show different saw maker's etches? I have a hand saw with a very faint etch that I can't make out. There appears to be a scroll and filigree. The lettering is difficult to see. I'd like to identify where the saw came from. It has a "warranted superior" medallion, which is obviously of little help. I could snap a picture of the saw, but without seeing the etch I'm not sure how much that will tell. Thanks in advance!

Jonathan McCullough
09-11-2011, 1:36 PM
Post your snapshot. There isn't a saw etch clearing house on the web as far as I know. The closest things we have to it are the usual suspects, plus the popular auction site that must not be named. Other than that, it's just the collective experience of anyone who'll answer forum questions. I've posted some to find out if anyone knew about some obscure makes.

Mark Baldwin III
09-11-2011, 2:08 PM
Here's a picture of the handle. It also shows the length of the blade. It is 7tpi, CC.

Jonathan McCullough
09-11-2011, 2:32 PM
Can you get any of the etch? With a scanner and fiddling with contrast/sharpness I came up with enough to identify a saw. The heel of the saw plate and the angle of the relief for the handle looks like a Pennsylvania Saw Co. saw. Can you make out any barber poles, or the words like "HIGH SPEED" or "VANADIUM"?

Mark Baldwin III
09-11-2011, 2:59 PM
I've tried fiddling with my scanner. I keep crashing it for whatever reason, the old computer probably can't handle the level of resolution I was shooting for. I'll give it another go later, maybe I'll see if I can get my camera to pick something up.

Mark Baldwin III
09-11-2011, 9:58 PM
Thanks, Jonathan for trying to help. I think I'm going to give up the attempt. The camera was a no-go, and the scanner couldn't pick it up either. All I can make out is a scroll on the bottom of the etch that reads (90% certain): "patent ground". Besides that and the filigree there isn't much to go on. I can tell that the etch is in a circular pattern, and that's it. It was worth a try. I think the next step for this saw is a good clean up of both sides of the plate, and a re-file to a rip pattern.

Dave Anderson NH
09-12-2011, 3:36 PM
I know I'm probably stating the obvious Mark but have you tried checking out the etch under several different types of lighting? Natural, flourescent, HID, incandescent, are just a few of the choices. Also angling and raking the light can help a lot.

Connor Cunningham
09-12-2011, 5:53 PM
From what your describing, it sounds alot like a saw I have. The etch on mine reads Saginaw Patent Ground, the circular thing should be on the right side of the "ground".

Bill Rittner
09-12-2011, 7:36 PM
Here's a picture of the handle. It also shows the length of the blade. It is 7tpi, CC.
The handle looks to be a Disston #16. Check the Disstonian Institute for more info. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

Mark Baldwin III
09-12-2011, 9:18 PM
This is killing me! My inner geek keeps taking over and trying to figure out what the etch says.
Dave, I've tried playing with light a little bit. After your post, I messed around with some other ideas (bright white LED for one). Different light sources help some, but I haven't gotten anywhere.
Connor, if you have a picture I'd appreciate seeing it. I can see just enough that I can compare to another saw, I think.
Bill, I agree that the handle looks like the D-16. However, it looks like the D-16 had either 3 or 5 screws, and not 4. Or did I miss something?
If you haven't figured it out by now...I do not have a life whatsoever :) At least getting started on my kitchen remodel kept me pleasantly distracted from this saw for most of the day.
I really wish that I could get some of the etch to show up in a picture. Thanks guys for all your help. If it wasn't for all of you, my little hobby wouldn't be nearly as fun!

Jonathan McCullough
09-12-2011, 10:26 PM
If it's any consolation, I'm working on a mystery saw that's much like yours. Disston No. 16 four-hole type handle, straight back, nib, mysterious etching like the Anheuser-Busch logo. It's a lot like the Keen Kutter No. 816 but it's not. Maybe I should put it up and see if it rings a bell for anyone.

Ryan Griffey
09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
There is a technique for enhancing the etch using cold gun blueing. Might be worth a shot.

Ray Gardiner
09-13-2011, 3:35 AM
Hi Mark,

The handle shape, screw locations, medallion at the bottom, and carving are very similar to Atkins, maybe a 56, ...Disston 16 is another possibility? they did customize their etching to suit customers, see if you can see "Sheffield Saw Works" or "Indianapolis"

I had a saw once, that had a near invisible etch, it defied all attempts to read it, and one day the sunlight hit it at just the right angle, I was looking for something else, and it popped out, clear as crystal...

The shape of the blade, would be a clue as well?

Bill, I agree that the handle looks like the D-16. However, it looks like the D-16 had either 3 or 5 screws, and not 4. Or did I miss something?
This is the 4 screw Disston 16, I was thinking of...
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Disston16.jpg

And this one , for comparison with yours, is the Atkins 56
http://www.backsaw.net/pics/Atkins56_2.jpg

Apologies for the scan quality, but the originals aren't all that good to start with...
the Atkins has the wheat sheaf carving, in the same shape and places as the mystery saw.

Regards
Ray

PS.. Just thought of something, (I should have remembered earlier) the warranted superior medallions used by Atkins were different to Disston, can you post a picture of the medallion?

Ray Gardiner
09-13-2011, 9:58 AM
Hi Mark,

Looking again at the angle of the heel of the sawplate, I am thinking it's more like the Disston 16 than the Atkins, and I assume the rest of the plate is a straight back with nib?

Regards
Ray

Mark Baldwin III
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Ray, the plate is a skew back (that's the correct term, right?). Here's a few more pics. One of the medallion, the entire plate, and a detail of the top of the handle. It looks a lot like the second picture you posted, the Atkins.

Bill Rittner
09-13-2011, 12:01 PM
According to the "Quick Glance Guide to Saw Identification" on the Disstonian website the full size D-16 had 4 nuts and the D-16 panel saw had 3 nuts.

Jonathan McCullough
09-13-2011, 1:06 PM
According to the "Quick Glance Guide to Saw Identification" on the Disstonian website the full size D-16 had 4 nuts and the D-16 panel saw had 3 nuts.

That's the "New" No. 16 (1880-1928). The D-16 (http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/16page.html) (1928-1932) looked like a D-23 with a D-8 handle. D-16s are pretty uncommon. I've never seen one.