PDA

View Full Version : For those that like carbon steel knives

Joel Goodman
09-11-2011, 12:02 PM
For any of you pining for old fashioned carbon steel knives -- www.rmurphyknives.com (http://www.rmurphyknives.com) -- has them. I picked up up a paring knife in their "Stay Sharp" carbon steel and another knife in plain carbon steel -- the Stay Sharp seemed to take a slightly better edge. Both are the old fashioned rusting carbon steel. I got a carving knife to use as a marking knife but haven't tried it out. They have various craft, fishing etc knives. Very basic, reasonably priced, American made goods.

Heather Thompson
09-11-2011, 6:56 PM
Joel,

Thank you for the post, I am a hugh supporter of American made goods, added this site to my favorites. Looked at the site and will be buying a few knives, while in the hunting and fishing section noticed that they made knives for Herter's, when I was little that was better than the Sears X-Mas book (I would buy my Dad fishing stuff so he would take me fishing)! Looked at the web and found that Cabelas bought them in 2002, sad to see smaller companies being bought up.

Heather

Brian Elfert
09-12-2011, 9:37 AM
Interesting that R. Murphy can produce good knifes in the USA for decent prices. I need to get better knifes, but I wish they had more with plastic handles. Wooden handles in my experience tend to get dirty and discolored over time.

Rich Engelhardt
09-13-2011, 8:24 AM
I need to get better knifes, but I wish they had more with plastic handles
Replacing the wooden scales w/plastic is a very simple task.
Just route out a shallow for the tang on two pieces, glue them up w/epoxy and clamp overnight.
Rough shape with a rasp, clean it up w/a file, smooth it out w/sandpaper and finish it w/a buffer.

Rivets aren't needed since the epoxy fills the gaps & dries to a solid.

Kitchen knives are the easiest since they don't have a blade guard to fuss with.

I have a couple of CRKT neck knives that I've been meaning to dress up w/some decent plastic scales when I get around to it.