PDA

View Full Version : What nailers do you own/use?

Jerry Olexa
02-23-2005, 10:33 PM
What brand of nailer do you prefer/own and use the most?
Bostich
Porter Cable
Senco
DeWalt
Hitachi
Penelode
Craftsman/Sears
other

Tom LaRussa
02-24-2005, 12:26 AM
What brand of nailer do you prefer/own and use the most?
Bostich
Porter Cable
Senco
DeWalt
Hitachi
Penelode
Craftsman/Sears
other
I have a Grizzly 18 G brad nailer but I don't use it because I got rid of my air compressor. It was just too loud to be in the same building with. :(

I also have one of those little electric Stanley-Bostich jobbers that I picked up on closeout at the BORG. It really does all I need, i.e., it's a very slightly glorified power stapler.

But then I so seldom use nails that it's no big deal just to whack them with a hammer, "Old School" style. ;)

Frank Pellow
02-24-2005, 6:01 AM
I have several nailers in the "other" category, but the three that I use the most are:

(1) A 14 ounce one with a leather covered handle which is at least 70 years old (from my Dad).

(2) This Japanese 20 ounce nailing hammer: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43412&p=32056

(3) This 8 ounce finishing hammer: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43412&p=32049

Bill Arnold
02-24-2005, 6:49 AM
I have a Makita brad nailer and a Central Pneumatic (HF) 23ga pin nailer.

Tim Morton
02-24-2005, 7:01 AM
Jerry, I was thinking about your question last night, about what compressor you should get...have you thought about the paslode guns? No compressor needed and they are not that big or heavy. They might be a little pricy...but with all that money you won on the super bowl covering the spread you should be able to get 3 :D

Dave Brandt
02-24-2005, 7:05 AM
I have the 15 gauge P-C that I use for crown and big stuff, but the most used gun by far is my Airy 18 g brad nailer. It's my extra right hand. Also have the Airy stapler. I've had it for at least ten years and never had a jam!

Bob Aquino
02-24-2005, 8:21 AM
I have had a sears 16 finish and 18g brad for quite a while. Both are decent guns. I did have some issues with the 16 a while back and had to take it apart several times to fix it. I even bought a "refurb kit" from sears that supposedly had all the replaceable rubber parts it would need. Turns out, that not one o-ring fit the damn thing and I ended up getting a universal o-ring kit from HF that did the trick.
When I was putting down flooring about 4 years ago, I had the canadian version of the senco flooring nailer. Very nice piece of gear. I ended up selling it after the job since I didnt think I needed that much money tied up in a tool I would rarely use. I got my moneys worth out of it for the several months I needed it. Also with that job I got a used duofast stapler from the same place as the floor nailer. I had to pull up a bunch of particle board underlayment and put down 5/8" plywood and needed something to put it down so it wouldnt move afterward. THe stapler did the trick. I kept it since I had only about 125 in it and figured I may need it again. Nice tool even if it doesnt look all that good. I guess they dont make duofast stuff anymore, shame.

Fred Hubert
02-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I have owned the Hitachi 83A framing nailer and the DeWalt framing nailer but now have the PC. All good machines, but I percieved that all pneumatic nailers were compared to PC as the reference standard and I can say I like PC nailers the best. The Hitachi framer is the lightest, and many builders prefer that, but I found the depth to be inconsistent. The DeWalt is a nice gun but to me no better than the PC, though it costs more...

I have also used the Master Fastener brand of finish and brad nailers but they jammed all the time so I replaced them with PC's.

~ Fred

Tom LaRussa
02-24-2005, 10:36 AM
(1) A 14 ounce one with a leather covered handle which is at least 70 years old (from my Dad).
Hey, how come no pic?

(2) This Japanese 20 ounce nailing hammer: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,43412&p=32056
Back when I used to build a lot of decks I would have killed for one of these. Does the nail-holding thingie work well?

Ted Shrader
02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
PC 15ga angle head finish nailer
PC 18ga brad nailer (PC 125)
PC stapler
PC Full head framing nailer.

All have fired some rounds in the last week.

Frank Pellow
02-24-2005, 11:23 AM
... Does the nail-holding thingie work well?
Yes it does. I don't use it much, but when I really have to reach out a long way to drive in a nail, it is GREAT!

Jerry Olexa
02-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Good info already...Keep it comin'... Going to buy a couple nailers in the next few weeks and wanted your opinions. I'm still stuck on whether to get a 15ga or 16ga?? I will get a Brad nailer(18ga) but question whether I need the long 2" size in a brad gun. Any good deals out there? Thanks Guys!!

Bill Lewis
02-24-2005, 11:37 AM
all Senco
Framing nailer (325+)
16 ga finish nailer
18 ga brad nailer

I use the framing nailer for framing, what else...
I use the finish nailer for trim
I use the brad nailer for ww'ing and small trim.

Lately the framing nailer has gotten the most use.

Scott Coffelt
02-24-2005, 11:38 AM
By no means will I win the I have more than you race, but I have a nice supply.

Framing Nailer - Stanley Bostich
Finish Nailer - Craftsman 16 Gauge
Brad Nailer - Craftsman 18 gauge, 2inch capacity
Crown Stapler - 2 PC's, 1 CH
Pin Nailer - PC
Upolestry Stapler - PC

That's it for now :cool:

Scott Coffelt
02-24-2005, 11:40 AM
Good info already...Keep it comin'... Going to buy a couple nailers in the next few weeks and wanted your opinions. I'm still stuck on whether to get a 15ga or 16ga?? I will get a Brad nailer(18ga) but question whether I need the long 2" size in a brad gun. Any good deals out there? Thanks Guys!!
Jerry,

PC has a kit out there that gives you the compressor, finish and brad nailers, and then a stapler via mail.

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 11:51 AM
All of my nailers are Accuset by Senco, except for my framer which is Senco and the free brad nailer that came with it which is also Senco. The Accuset line is no longer available, but have been terrific tools. I have two 18 guage brad guns, a 15 gauge angle nailer, a 23 guage pinner, a 1/4" narrow crown stapler and a full-head framer. All get used, but I probably use the 18 guage and 15 gauge guns the most with the pinner getting an increasing share of the work.

Jerry Olexa
02-24-2005, 7:22 PM
Decided probably don't need over 1 and 1/4" in 18ga. Usually, there are 2 brad guns one up to 1 1/4" and others up to 2". I think over that 1 1/4 size would not be strong in that thin of a brad. Am I right? The PC and Senco nailers are looking good. Still struggling w 16ga vs 15ga. I'm thinking 15ga might be better for me. ?? Thanks again for your input..

Jim Becker
02-24-2005, 7:34 PM
Decided probably don't need over 1 and 1/4" in 18ga. Usually, there are 2 brad guns one up to 1 1/4" and others up to 2". I think over that 1 1/4 size would not be strong in that thin of a brad. Am I right? ..
Jerry, you are correct in a sense. I almost never shoot 18 guage brads longer than 1 1/4". But I bought a 2" gun because it had more features, including depth adjustability which was not available on the "smaller" gun at the time I was buying. Check the specs to be sure that the gun you buy has the features you need or want...some lower cost/capacity units don't!

Just because it can shoot a longer fastener doesn't mean you need to do it... ;)

Rob Russell
02-24-2005, 7:47 PM
Bostitch coil framing nailer
PC 15 ga angled finish nailer
PC 18 ga brad nailer
Bostitch 1/4" stapler
Bostitch flooring stapler

I have these because of cost. I'd probably have gone with Senco's for the trim and brad nailers but didn't want to spend the $.

Haven't used the flooring nailer yet, but all the others have done what I wanted.

Rob

fred woltersdorf
02-24-2005, 7:51 PM
15ga senco finish nailer
18oz pc brad nailer
23 ga grex pin nailer

Cecil Arnold
02-24-2005, 7:52 PM
Jerry, I have the Sinco 18 ga. and 23 ga. pin guns, a Paslode 15 ga. impulse, and a PC 350A framing nailer. I've used all of them except the pin enough to think they all are good quality tools, however I would lean toward the Sinco but bought the PC framer based on price. Hope that helps your decision.

Todd Davidson
02-24-2005, 8:40 PM
IMHO Porter Cable makes the best pneumatic nailers. I have ....

PC Framer
PC Roofer
PC Straight Finish
PC Brad
PC Crown

Also have the two PC non-pneumatic nailers....

"Bammer" Angled Finish
12V Brad

If I ever need to replace my non-pnuematics I would really consider the Dewalt 18V Finish Nailer and its little brother, the Black&Decker 12V Brad Nailer. Have found the Paslode Finish & Brad to jam too frequently.

Am curious as to the diffeence/quality between the Craftsman and PC pin nailers? Or is there a better brand to consider? Am considering the Craftsman mostly due to cost in relation to how often my projects require a pin nailer.

John Weber
02-24-2005, 9:49 PM
More then I really Need:

Porter Cable Round Head Framer
Porter Cable Pinner (Still on Back Order)
Porter Cable 16 ga Finish (Just bought this week - really nice)

Accuset 1-1/4" 18 ga brad
Accuset 2" 18ga brad

Senco Stapler - I forget the guage

Bostitch 15ga angled finish nailer

All three brands are excellent. I've been leaning lately toward PC, although Senco customer service is excellent, and my Bostitch has been excellent.

You might also check out reconditioned nailers at Amazon. I bought my framer for $70 less the a regular gun and it was in perfect condition. I think PC had a batch they had to change the label on and they ended up as recons - great savings and the nailer was brand new.

John

John Harris
02-24-2005, 9:58 PM
I have two PC's. The angled framer with full heads and the angled finish nailer. Always work great, never jam. Spend the little bit extra to get the angled guns for tight spaces.

Mike Holbrook
02-24-2005, 10:09 PM
SUPCO Finish Nailer
SUPCO 18 brad
Hitachi angled 15 brad
Hitachi 3/8 stapler
Makita 1/4 stapler (my dealer did not have the Hitachi and I needed it then) a good
gun though
I also have an electric, but I almost never use it now

I love the Hitachi's, especially the 15 gauge. The HItachi 15 gauge is very powerful but very quiet and a pleasure to use, as is my Hitachi stapler. I have messed around with Senco and some other brands that my builder buddy & others have had at projects, still much prefer the Hitachi's.

I buy all my guns from Air Staples and Nails, Inc. in Atlanta. They do nothing but air guns and compressor, supplying a host of the Atlanta professionals. They service a tremendous number of air guns and compressors and know them inside & out like no one else I know of. They can fix anything & do everyday, so I listen to them.

Rod Torgeson
02-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Senco framing nailer
Senco 7/16 stapler
Senco 18 Ga nailer(got free with framing nailer)
Senco pin nailer
Porter Cable 18 Ga nailer
Porter Cable 16 Ga nailer
Porter Cable narrow crown stapler
Two air compressors

Like em all, use em all. Not all at once though.

Richard Wolf
02-24-2005, 10:47 PM
I'm sorry you asked because thinking about it has made me sick. I have;
PC 16 & 18 ga
Bostich 16 & 18 & staple
Semco (2) 18 ga
Pasalode impulse (2) 16 ga & (2) 18 ga
Bostich Framing nailer

Richard McComas
02-25-2005, 6:55 AM
All my nailer's at my home shop are Senco except for my Omer pin nailer. At work we have both Senco and Paslode, they all work fine.

Steve Clardy
02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
2- PC 16 ga.
2- PC 18 ga. 2"
2- PC 18 ga. 1 1/4"
1- PC 23 ga.
1- PC framer gun
2- grizzly 18 ga. 1 1/4"
1- PC upholstery gun
1- PC 1 ga. stapler
1- Grizzly 18 ga. stapler.
1- PC 15 ga.

I have two of the 18 ga. that will shoot 2" nails, but find that I use only 1 1/2" nails in them, as a 2" nail in this size just won't go through hardwood, so I dig out the 16 ga. then.
15 ga. is seldom used, mostly on base trim.

Bob Reeve
02-25-2005, 7:04 PM
PC Round head Framer

Paslode 16g finish

Sears 18g brad

They all work but I like the feel of the Pasloge the best.

Jerry Olexa
02-26-2005, 1:35 PM
I bought the Porter Cable 18ga brad nailer and the 16ga finisher as part of the PC combo pack. They felt good to me. I'll LUK. Thanks for your help!