PDA

View Full Version : OT ‘puter question

Bruce Page
04-20-2003, 12:29 PM
For the last couple of weeks, every time I boot up my pc, it loads 3 blank windows. I’m assuming that they have something to do with Microsoft’s automatic update program.

The main window’s title bar says “UPDA32”.
The second window is “@Microsoft.Windows.Update”.
The third window is “Status”.
There is nothing in the windows - they are completely blank.

The UPDA32 is obviously a program of some sort. I have searched all of the .exe files without any success.
Does anybody know how to get rid of this? I hate it when things like this just “appear”. It is not a big deal, just an annoyance.

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro

Thanks

John Miliunas
04-20-2003, 5:57 PM
Bruce, I've run all the critical updates out there for all my 2K and XP boxes and have never run into that. My question is this: Have you, by chance, anytime in the recent past, received a notice, allegedly from Microsoft Support instructing you to download a specific security patch? The whole message appears to be very legitimate, but unfortunately, is not. Let me know...:cool:

Bruce Page
04-20-2003, 7:19 PM
John, I keep up to date on the patches also but I think this might have started when I aborted a patch download in midstream. Norton anti virus says everything is ok.
I forgot to mention that the three windows have the Windows icon logo next to the name – see screen capture.

John Miliunas
04-20-2003, 7:30 PM
OK, good information. Try this, if you haven't already: Go back to the Windows update site and do a scan on your operating system. It should find any updates necessary, including the one which was aborted.

Also, the next time that happens, while the windows are still up, go to your "Task Manager" and check to see if some program is indeed running. If not, go to the "Processes" and look to see if there's anything resembling one of the windows coming up. :cool:

Bruce Page
04-20-2003, 10:36 PM
Thanks John, I went to the update site and didn’t find any “critical updates” that I needed but found 9 “recommended” so I downloaded all of them - It didn’t help. Task manager does show the UPDA32 running but doesn’t give me any more info than that.

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected from happening. -- Barbara Tober

John Miliunas
04-20-2003, 10:49 PM
Sheeeesh Bruce. You've got me going on this one! If I get a chance tomorrow, I'll try to remember and ask one of my Microsoft guru's to see if he's run across anything like this. Sorry I couldn't help you more at this time, but I'll try to do some more checking. :cool:

Bruce Page
04-20-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks John, I appreciate your help. Like I said, it’s not a big deal, just an annoyance.

Why are our days numbered and not, say, lettered? -- Woody Allen