PDA

View Full Version : Hanging Turning Tool Roll

Noah Barfield
09-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi all,

I'm planning on building a tool trolley for my lathe tools someday, but in the meantime I need something a bit more reliable to stay organized (besides the cardboard box I'm currently using). I've been looking for a simple hanging tool roll (with a couple of brass grommets), but haven't had any luck. The closest I've come is the Lee Valley hanging tool roll--but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Noah

John Keeton
09-11-2011, 7:52 AM
Noah, can't help on a "tool roll" but this style tool rack is pretty commonly used and is a very easy build from scrap lumber. If you are interested in the dimensions, etc., PM me your email address and I will send you a Word doc with pics and measurements.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-11-2011, 8:00 AM
Noah,
I'm not sure why you want a fabric roll. Making one is not easy unless you are a skilled sewer with a fairly heavy duty sewing machine. The fabric must be quite thick; the weight of jeans at a minimum. Then the individual pockets must have gussets at the bottom to allow for the dimension of each handle. Till you are done, it would be cheaper and much easier to screw pieces of plastic pipe to a plywood backboard.
faust

Greg Just
09-11-2011, 8:15 AM
I build the same racks that John showed above and they work great. If you are looking for fabric, I got the traveling roll-up carrier from Woodcraft. I think it was $20. My sister in law could have sewed one, but it was easier to buy one.

Josh Bowman
09-11-2011, 8:35 AM
This is my cheap method of storing turning tools. It only cost me the lazy susan hardware from lowes. I used smaller tubes in the middle that I bundled together and epoxied. Since I use a tool handle the smaller ones hold the bits. It in turn sits on a over the fender tool holder that I got for a Christmas gift and was in the way. Now it goes over my lathe bed. http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/FW00zrSj7StDfudT8DJXiU4xh6tdaeNyX1BkSZ2aIUwQw5o8jy AqKFx2SfcA0QE8awCTEBlY6-msUYRsSKtyGJzplBv0P7rfBjmA8SaRFKQ7qHBOmvswrd16y1CC F3wazNUbAU7dvG4sGIHyBdTBWy6JYIpADk7YDMesfGlN_r5JjA MnaZdtevMh9k-Dnik

Josh Bowman
09-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Look at the bottom of this woodturning clubs newletter. This tool cart has bling bling!
http://www.woodturners.org/meetings/meeting_minutes/2011/gwg_may_11.pdf

Mike Peace
09-11-2011, 5:09 PM
I have the WC green tool roll and it is handy for off site turning at a class or chapter turning event. There are slots on both sides and the tools definitely go in handle first. If they don't the points tend to slice through the canvas. But I digress.

The tool rolls I have seen do not lend themselves to hanging up because of the double rows of opposing tools. I did see a pretty nifty idea one of the chapter members made. It was a very simple folding A frame with hinges along the top of the "A" and a cord or chain connecting both legs to keep it from spreading open and collapsing. It was used to lay the open tool wrap on it with the center of the tool roll along the top of the "A" so all of the tools would be available point up, half on one side and half on the other.

It was designed to sit on a table and took up less room than the open tool roll. Sorry if this is not clear. I did not make a picture.

jeff schnell
09-11-2011, 7:42 PM
I have a ton of tools that I'm trying to organize so I built a bunch of 5 gal buckets with 2" PVC pipes inside them. I cut them all a little less that 12" so that I get the most out of a 10' length of pipe. I them used shipping/duck tape to tape up bundles of 3, then taped 2 sets of them with the center on and then put the rest together with some tie straps and put them in the bucket. After that I pumped in expanding foam around the edge slowiy filling it up. After it hardens you can turn it over and pop it all out so that you trim up the excess on top of the tops. I then put on top of my bench with the tools sticking up. My bench is 3' deep so I don't have a problem hitting the tools. This also makes a good portable system by putting another buck over the top and strapping it down. Other options put a bucket buddy around it before putting in the foam Leave tubes out and put a coffee can in to hold your chucks. Also be very careful cutting the pvc pipes. I used my electric miter saw with a fine tooth blade and cut slowly of course clamp the pipe in place in case it catches.

Noah Barfield
09-12-2011, 1:17 AM
Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to try to build a tool rack with the plans that John sent.

Noah