PDA

View Full Version : First shoulder plane order

Don Dorn
09-10-2011, 10:49 PM
After years without one at all, I'm finally in the market for a good shoulder plane. I'm contemplating either a Large LN or LV. I'm not asking which is better as I'm familiar with both companies and know that quality is comparible. The cost between them isn't enough that I'd make the decision based on that.

What I'm really looking for is feedback from anyone that has them. What made you choose one over the other and are you happy with your decision. I just don't have any experience with them and don't have the opportunity to try either one prior to purchase. I know the LN is more of a traditional design than the LV but I'm not sure if it makes any difference. If it's strictly Ford vs Chevy thing, then I'll flip a coin or somthing, but if there is something I you think I should be aware of, I'd like to hear it.

Mike Henderson
09-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I've used a large shoulder plane as well as a number of medium sized ones (including Stanleys). I bought the LV medium shoulder plane and really like it primarily because of the way it fits my hand.

Mike

glenn bradley
09-10-2011, 11:46 PM
As Mike says; its all in the fit once you are comparing equally high quality hand tools. I was lucky enough to try the LN and LV repeatedly side by side at a WWing show. The LV fit like a glove while the LN felt like a poor golf grip. No matter what I tried, I just couldn't get the feeling of control that I could on the other. Please bear in mind that an equal number of people have had the opposite experience. Try to get where you can run the tool across some wood to confirm your preference if at all possible.

lowell holmes
09-11-2011, 7:11 AM
The LV planes have lateral adjustment screws which I like.

IMO, you will not regret buying either. I have the LV medium shoulder plane.

bob blakeborough
09-11-2011, 9:45 AM
Haven't been able to try the LN, but the LV large and small shoulder planes are both in my shop and they are both excellent tools that fit the hand well...

Ruperto Mendiones
09-11-2011, 10:21 AM
I have had the small LN for 3 years and I am totally satisfied with it. Do consider the steel of the blade. LN uses A2 which is harder, more prone to chip, and considerably more effort to sharpen initially.

Terry Beadle
09-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a LN Large shoulder plane and have used it for about 5 years. It does the job. It's a bit heavy but that shows to good advantage on wider tenon shoulders.

I also have a Stanley 93 and it is also a nugget.

If I had just one, I'd pick the Stanley. Not based on quality ( obviously ) but due to size. It matches more of my needs and the heavier LN is just a bit too heavy.

My brother has the medium LV and likes it. I test drove it and I like it too !

There you go. Pick one and win !

Trevor Walsh
09-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I bought the small LN at an event, they encouraged me to go for the large, and after using the small I can see how a bigger shoulder plane would be helpful. I came across a Record 73, unused for a good price on eBay and jumped on it. I really like the big one, and the small is great for one handed use in places.

Jim R Edwards
09-11-2011, 11:27 AM
I have the LV medium and like it but I wish I would have bought the large one.

bill tindall
09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
It is not a Ford vs Chevy thing. It is more like a Ford (car) vs Ford (tractor). The LN, and it's predecessors, are the least ergonomically designed tool in my arsenal. I bought it because at the time it was all that was available. There is no comfortable way to hold it. It is only rivaled in inconvenience by using a Stanely #5 on a shooting board. Fortunately, the way it is used one doesn't have to hold it for long spells.

The LV was designed with some thought as to how to hold it.

Mike Henderson
09-11-2011, 12:51 PM
It is not a Ford vs Chevy thing. It is more like a Ford (car) vs Ford (tractor). The LN, and it's predecessors, are the least ergonomically designed tool in my arsenal. I bought it because at the time it was all that was available. There is no comfortable way to hold it. It is only rivaled in inconvenience by using a Stanely #5 on a shooting board. Fortunately, the way it is used one doesn't have to hold it for long spells.

The LV was designed with some thought as to how to hold it.
I'll second Bill's comment. The "traditional" shape of the LN is just not comfortable to hold - in fact, it's downright awkward. The LV fits your hand.

Mike

Gary Curtis
09-11-2011, 1:21 PM
+1 on the Lee Valley. Ergonomics, ergonomics, ergonomics.

Bill Houghton
09-11-2011, 1:37 PM
I have a Record shoulder plane, the equivalent of (and, I believe, the inspiration for) the LN large shoulder plane. I will add my voice to other voices: it's a darned awkward tool to hold, while my LV medium shoulder plane is a joy. I am not sure why I still have the Record, except that, once a tool shows up in my shop, it has a tendency to stick around, even if all it's doing is sitting in the corner, spitting on the floor and telling stories. If I reach the point in my furniture making (well...I've been in carpentry mode for well over a decade now, trying to GET THIS DARNED HOUSE FINISHED, so furniture making is mostly a fantasy) where I find I frequently need a plane the size of the Record, I'll save up for the large LV shoulder (although I find the front knob kind of awkward looking - but hey, it's removable).

Bob Warfield
09-11-2011, 2:22 PM
Although I'm a LN kind of guy, don't really know why, I do much prefer the Veritas shoulder planes for all the reasons already mentioned. I have tried them both at various tool shows and have decided on the Veritas large. Planning on ordering one at WIA in a few weeks.
Good Luck...Bob

Ron Kellison
09-11-2011, 3:03 PM
Why wait "a few weeks"? If you ordered it now you would have it in 2-3 days and get the enjoyment of using it immediately.:)

Cheers,

Ron

Don Dorn
09-11-2011, 4:10 PM
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for - thank you. A large Veritas it is - will get one ordered this week.

Bob Warfield
09-11-2011, 5:47 PM
My financial advisor, wife, says it can wait. :)
Thanks...Bob

Trevor Walsh
09-14-2011, 5:22 PM
Interesting comments about the LN/Record/Preston design. (I'm sure the LV is more confortable) but I've never had a problem with the small LV or the large Record, in fact I'd say they are comfortable to use. I grip exactly like that girl in the LN youtube video shows, it offers a lot of control and comfyness.