PDA

View Full Version : Tree of Heaven HF

Bill Bolen
09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
6x7 and finished with home brew DO. Pith had rotted out about half way down this end grain piece, hence the "extra" Hole. My thinnest to date at 1/8" walls but a bit thicker at the mouth and foot. I noticed when taking the photos that I could look through the mouth and see light coming through the walls. Did a simple burn at the mouth on the faux collar. Lots going on on all sides.

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 10:29 PM
Bill,

Nice HF........that is the first time I have seen that coloration put on Ailanthus........the home brew DO did the trick on it, and sure brought out that heartwood grain and made it pop! Very nice form.....sweeping curve all the way to the bottom....nice!

Baxter Smith
09-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Real nice Bill. Great shape, color and I like the little burn detail. The extra hole is a great eyecatcher!

Ted Calver
09-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Wow!! I'll be looking for some Ailanthus. Lots of it around here. It's a nuisance species but that grain sure looks good. Nice job!

Tim Rinehart
09-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Very nice piece Bill. I like the character of the wood and the form is superb!

Curt Fuller
09-11-2011, 12:36 AM
That's really pretty. The wood is a lot more interesting than any of that wood I've ever tried working with. And I like the simple burn you did around the collar. Just enough to draw your eye to it. That hole from the pith reminds me of the fish and butterflies that have a fake eye in their coloration to fool predators. That's a nice one Bill.

Johnny Taylor
09-11-2011, 4:15 AM
Bill, thats really nice looking wood and an excellent form turned from it.

John Keeton
09-11-2011, 7:36 AM
Excellent form, and the wood really has good character. I like the detailed turning at the throat, but I will go against the crowd and say I could do without the burn detailing. Not bad, just not needed IMO. This piece stands on its own very nicely without it.

Michelle Rich
09-11-2011, 7:38 AM
my favorite pic is the last..like the dtail on the neck too...great finish

Dennis Ford
09-11-2011, 7:40 AM
Very nice form, I like the way you oriented it with the pith off center to bring out the grain patterns.

charlie knighton
09-11-2011, 9:55 AM
great form, pretty wood, i like your burn detail, not overpowering the figure/spaulting in the wood

Bernie Weishapl
09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Bill that has great form and the wood is beautiful. I really like your embellishment. Simple but looks great.

Jim Underwood
09-11-2011, 3:06 PM
Nicely done. I like everything about it. Nice form, nice wood, appropriate finish... and I'll disagree with John and say I even like the burned collar. I could stand just a bit more even-ness in the lines though.

Other than that, I'd give you a 9.8 out of 10 points....