PDA

View Full Version : Can I put WO Poly on top of Watco Danish Oil?

Jim Underwood
09-10-2011, 3:34 PM
I ran out of Wipe On Poly a while back, and just grabbed the Danish Oil out of the cabinet. Unfortunately it's quite flat... The poly would get a slight shine with two coats.

If I put more Danish on will it shine at all, or remain flat? Or can I just put a coat of Poly on?

Tony Maio
09-11-2011, 3:21 PM
I hope someone can answer this question; I'm curious myself.

Russell Neyman
09-11-2011, 3:24 PM
I seriously doubt it. Two words: "test patch." If there is incompatibility, you'll know within minutes. Another concept that might apply here is the idea that shellac is a universal sealer and compatible with just about everything. Hit it with a coat of the lac juice, then apply your wipe on poly.

Brian Kent
09-11-2011, 3:47 PM
Jim, I started out using Danish oil for everything. It worked for me it it was fine-sanded before (or fine-wet-sanded between layers) and if I kept on adding layers. Now I would use dewaxed shellac. If that doesn't do when you want, you could add a varnish or wax layer.

Jim Underwood
09-11-2011, 9:12 PM
Brian, when you say it worked for you, do you mean it would develop some gloss after several layers? So if I put a few more coats on, then it should be better than trying poly on top of it...

Barry Richardson
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
You absolutely can put poly over dainsh oil. The results will be just like whatever poly your using i.e. gloss/semi-gloss/satin. They are both oil based finished. I usually give the danish oil over night to cure, but I have only waited a few hours before applying the poly with no ill effects. Sanding or scuffing the danish oil is not necessary. I've used this combination on dozens, if not hundreds of turnings as well as furniture and is my preferred finish for steamed walnut. Walnut tinted danish oil to bring the walnut back to life, then poly. It looks much more natural that using walnut stain.

Russell Neyman
09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
There you go; that's why this forum is so useful!! I'm really conservative when it comes to mixing different finishes, so this is good news. Thanks, Barry.

Scott Holmes
09-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I would suggest at least 24 hours for the oil/varnish blend to cure. Then a light sanding will help the poly stick. poly has a nasty habit of not sticking well to itself or anything else. That's why polyurethane varnish tells you to sand between coats; SO IT WILL STICK.

Brian Kent
09-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Jim, I can't say about better, because I am not experienced enough. But yes, adding coats of Danish oil will build up a sheen.

Jim Underwood
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Good. Answers to both scenarios... I like options...:)

Thanks guys!