PDA

View Full Version : Walnut from the farm

Richard Jones
09-10-2011, 12:51 PM
This walnut was an Irene casualty, and was in my in-law's yard. M-i-l said it had been there as long as she had been living there, pushing 70 years, so I guess it's pretty old. Plan to make bowls, platters, a few HF's, mark them as "Farm Walnut" and distribute them amongst the family.

As an aside, I slabbed this up this morning, and when I finished, maybe an hour and a half give or take, the tops of my forearms itched like crazy. I have never had this happen previously, and have worked walnut for 40 years. I did shower when I got done, but it still itches somewhat now, about 2 hours later, but not anywhere as bad. I did hose the pieces off prior to sawing, as they had quite a bit of mud, etc, from being in the yard this week during a couple of storms. Wonder if the water made everything stick to me more than normal, enhancing the contact time. Whatever the reason, it'll be long sleeves for me and walnut from here on out.

Curious.

Rich

Ronald Fox
09-10-2011, 1:04 PM
Looks like some nice walnut. I am sure the family will appreciate the bowls.

charlie knighton
09-10-2011, 2:09 PM
pretty wood, nice score, you are going to be popular

John Beaver
09-10-2011, 2:57 PM
Beautiful score.
If it bothers you, I'd be happy to take some off your hands...

Baxter Smith
09-10-2011, 2:58 PM
Pretty wood with a family history. Thats as good as it gets!

Jack Mincey
09-10-2011, 3:34 PM
Great looking haul of wood. I've found that if I get into something that makes me itch that taking a cold shower and scrubbing a few times with soap helps more than any thing. Since I started showering and scrubbing with cold water for this problem I don't even get poison ivy if done within a few hours of being in it. The cold water keeps the pores of your skin closed so that the oils are not absorbed into them. Hot water opens the pores and lets the oil get in. I hope that this problem doesn't get worse for you. I haven't had any problem with wood but still keep my arms covered and scrub with cold water after I turn stuff like cocobolo. I want to be able to turn it as long as possible.
Jack

Jon Nuckles
09-10-2011, 8:13 PM
Nice looking pile of walnut, and looks very dark for being freshly cut. Mine has always had a greenish cast until exposed to air/light for a while. Good luck with avoiding the itch. Most reactions get worse with repeated exposure, so long sleeves seem like the right approach.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2011, 9:53 PM
Great looking bunch of walnut. Never had walnut cause a itch but did with some that had some poison ivy vines on it.

Donny Lawson
09-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I brought home some dark walnut home like that a while back and it is fun to turn. You have some nice pieces to work with. Enjoy....

Kaptan J.W. Meek
09-12-2011, 9:23 PM
nice.. wear a dust mask.. Walnut gives me a TERRIBLE headache.. I've heard walnut shavings will kill a horse, so they don't use it on stable floors..

Rick Robbins
09-13-2011, 3:39 PM
special wood there. nice walnut. Rick

Reed Gray
09-13-2011, 6:31 PM
Wet walnut can cause more allergy problems than dry walnut. Cut up a fresh black walnut stump burl with English/Persian grafted on top. It actually blistered my one hand. walnut does give me a head ache if I turn a lot of it. Also, walnut bowls can add scent and flavor to what is in it, especially if the food is wet, and/or hot. Some love it, and it drives others crazy. I don't think I would want ice cream in a walnut bowl. Green walnut also seems to dull the tools very quickly.

robo hippy