PDA

View Full Version : General Finishes Wood Turners Finish

Greg Just
09-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Has anyone tried this new finish from General Finishes? It is water based and can be wiped on and it is being advertised as a product for woodturners.

Curt Fuller
09-10-2011, 12:16 PM
I haven't tried it but I like the fact that it can be sanded and re-coated in minutes. For anyone interested here is a link to it http://www.generalfinishes.com/retail-products/water-base-top-coats-sanding-sealers/wood-turners-finish .

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Sure sounds like some interesting stuff. If I can find a can I may give it a go. Like Curt like the fact you can recoat in minutes.

Jon Prouty
09-10-2011, 11:28 PM
There is a blog post on the whisperer about this stuff... I want to try it. Any other folks try this yet?

JP

Jim Leslie
09-11-2011, 12:15 AM
I'm attending a 2-1/2 hour seminar Thursday night at Black Forest Wood in Calgary on all their products, with focus on lathe applications. He will show this too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHt5gctLRs
Looks interesting; I'll post comments Friday. ..

Bob Wolfe
09-11-2011, 1:12 AM
Just watched the videos and it looks impressive alright and pretty simple. I'll be waiting for your comments Jim.

Russell Eaton
09-11-2011, 8:10 AM
Hey Greg, I got 2 sample bottles from Rockler about 2 weeks ago. I used it on 2 bowls, off the lathe. It worked well, it is very thin, I poured it into the bowl then wiped it around. It took several coats but the end result was a nice finish. After the first coat you must sand the bowl, it raises the grain. I think I put on 5 coats. I would show some pictures, but the bowls were presents for a couple of my aunts. I will use it again, it seems to go on real fast. Hope this helps some. Russell

Greg Just
09-11-2011, 9:13 AM
Hey Greg, I got 2 sample bottles from Rockler about 2 weeks ago. I used it on 2 bowls, off the lathe. It worked well, it is very thin, I poured it into the bowl then wiped it around. It took several coats but the end result was a nice finish. After the first coat you must sand the bowl, it raises the grain. I think I put on 5 coats. I would show some pictures, but the bowls were presents for a couple of my aunts. I will use it again, it seems to go on real fast. Hope this helps some. Russell

Russell:

Do you think the finish is durable enough for everyday use like a peppermill?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll need to check my local Rockler to see if they have samples.

Greg

Jack Gaskins
09-11-2011, 1:33 PM
Russell:

Do you think the finish is durable enough for everyday use like a peppermill?

Thanks for your feedback. I'll need to check my local Rockler to see if they have samples.

Greg

Greg, the youtube video says that the finish has a very high resistance to chemicals and water and will last longer on hand held objects than most other finishes. I just might have to try some of this stuff for my Bic stick pens.

Russell Eaton
09-11-2011, 3:00 PM
Hey Greg, I think it would be durable. It uses the same materials as used for finishing hardwood floors. I would only be taking a guess.

Bill Bolen
09-11-2011, 5:34 PM
Sounds like an interesting new finish. Perked my attention. Thanks for the tip-off, I think I'll be giving it a try.

Jon Prouty
09-12-2011, 4:13 PM
okay - just picked up a pint today at Woodcraft. I think it was $15.99 (pretty spendy for a pint of anything). I'll be giving it a shot hopefully this week. I have high hopes... we shall see. I'll post my thoughts... going to redo a piece where the poly orange peeled on me - got to sand it all off and start with my new WTF. I like that name...

JP

Pete Jordan
09-12-2011, 5:20 PM
I haven't found it online. Can anyone help?

Jay MacDougall
09-12-2011, 9:18 PM
Here you go Pete. http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2083644/35704/General-Finishes-Wood-Turners-Finish-8oz.aspx

Bernie Weishapl
09-13-2011, 7:07 PM
I just ordered some from Woodcraft. It was $9.99 for a 8 oz bottle. I am going to give it a go. I received a e-mail from General Finishes after asking if they thought it would hold up on salad bowls, platters, plates, utility bowls, etc. They told me it would be pretty similar to their floor finish so that should give me a idea of toughness. They said it was resistant to chemicals, water, food acids, etc. They also said it wouldn't raise the grain. They also said you could apply 4 to 6 coats in a half hours time. If it doesn't work or hold up I think it would be great for peppermills, ornaments, mini-birdhouses, lidded boxes, etc. I can use my airbrush to apply. So hopefully it will be here in a day or two and can try it out.

Greg Just
09-13-2011, 7:55 PM
I just ordered some from Woodcraft. It was $9.99 for a 8 oz bottle. I am going to give it a go. I received a e-mail from General Finishes after asking if they thought it would hold up on salad bowls, platters, plates, utility bowls, etc. They told me it would be pretty similar to their floor finish so that should give me a idea of toughness. They said it was resistant to chemicals, water, food acids, etc. They also said it wouldn't raise the grain. They also said you could apply 4 to 6 coats in a half hours time. If it doesn't work or hold up I think it would be great for peppermills, ornaments, mini-birdhouses, lidded boxes, etc. I can use my airbrush to apply. So hopefully it will be here in a day or two and can try it out.

Bernie:

Looking forward to your review.

Greg

Bernie Weishapl
09-14-2011, 3:46 PM
Will do Greg. Boy if this stuff works as advertised finishing is going to be a breeze. The e-mail I received from Sheryl at General Finishes says she thinks I will like it a lot not only resistant to water, food acids, etc but she says since it is a hybrid water/oil finish which penetrates the wood deeply but it still has that look and feel of a oil finish. Now that would be great and still put 6 coats on in a half hour. She also said she didn't think buffing would be necessary but some do for the extra shine.

ron hossack
09-14-2011, 9:45 PM
I've tried it at the Woodcraft store on a demo pen ... very thin and used lots of coats to get the 'shine' I wanted.

I'll personally stick to using my Enduro-Var and/or High Performance for the waterbased polys.

Al Wasser
09-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I bought some at Woodcraft. Yesterday I turned a small aspen bowl. I applied 7 coats thru the day and it is just starting to show some shine. I am guessing that it needs at least 3 more coats. Yes, aspen is soft and any finish soaks in for the first couple of coats so few coats may be needed on a harder wood. Of note is that there is absolutely no yellowing for those that want to retain a true wood color. Sorry I am not a photographer so I can't give you pics.