PDA

View Full Version : School of hard knocks

Roger Chandler
09-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I have been busy with other priorities the last couple of weeks and no turning. I have this burl from the Stonewall Jackson Prayer tree that the owner wants a bowl from. The thing has been in my way, trying to trip me at every turn..........did some shop clean out and improvements [added some mobile bases to my table saw and band saw]

I decided this evening to put the thing on the lathe with a face plate, turn a tenon and get this one on the way to its final ownership......thought I had a good plan. The wood thought otherwise. Chunks came out during the turning and being a 350+/- year old tree that was a large one during the civil war, this wood just mocked my youth with its stubborn aged ways!

A heavy burl..........probably at least 85 lbs.........after preparing the blank it was 17" x 17" to start out and not balanced because of weight difference in the wood itself. Well the tenon broke and off flew the bowl.....a big chunk out of the rim as well............and you can see the wood was a bit punky........I guess if I were 350 +/- years old I might be a bit punky as well :D

I am hoping to save this one..........but this tree sure makes one go through the school of hard knocks! This is the second one, that if it were any other tree, it would go in the wood stove! :eek:

David E Keller
09-10-2011, 12:05 AM
That's too bad, Roger... It's a neat looking piece of wood! I'm guessing once you're done with the wood from this tree that it will be a while before you get a hankering to turn a chunk of oak!

ray hampton
09-10-2011, 12:47 AM
that is a nice hunk of wood , will be a pretty bowl

John Keeton
09-10-2011, 7:15 AM
I think the end result will be worth the effort. Have you soaked the tenon in CA? Might help hold the next one - it looks like the wood is pretty weak there. It is sapwood and punky, too.

Also, you might want to consider "faking" the broken off area into a bark inclusion void. I did that on one side of the redwood burl bowl I just finished. It had a crack on one side, and I lost a piece of wood during the turning of the bowl. I used a Dremel, with a round burr bit to replicate a bark void that was on the other side of the rim. I bet you could do something similar here, use some black dye, with a touch of brown in it, and it would look fine.

Hilel Salomon
09-10-2011, 7:24 AM
Roger,
I'd have more sympathy for you if you hadn't prefaced your thread with the fact that you were cleaning your shop!!! My kids clean up the mess their children make during the day and I've always maintained that if it's going to get messy again, cleaning up is a waste of time. I don't do it until there isn't even room to trip over things.

Regards,

Hilel

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 8:17 AM
Roger,
I'd have more sympathy for you if you hadn't prefaced your thread with the fact that you were cleaning your shop!!! My kids clean up the mess their children make during the day and I've always maintained that if it's going to get messy again, cleaning up is a waste of time. I don't do it until there isn't even room to trip over things.

Regards,

Hilel

Hilel,

For me a clean shop is a safe shop.........in my small shop that is loaded with tools, I have to keep the thing clean or else trying to get any work done is so inefficient because every time you go to do something you have to move 20 other things. I have to keep a clear path to walk...........besides, I actually LIKE clean! I don't think I am in John Keeton's league quite yet, but that is only because I don't have the room to store everything out of the way like he does!

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 8:20 AM
I think the end result will be worth the effort. Have you soaked the tenon in CA? Might help hold the next one - it looks like the wood is pretty weak there. It is sapwood and punky, too.

Also, you might want to consider "faking" the broken off area into a bark inclusion void. I did that on one side of the redwood burl bowl I just finished. It had a crack on one side, and I lost a piece of wood during the turning of the bowl. I used a Dremel, with a round burr bit to replicate a bark void that was on the other side of the rim. I bet you could do something similar here, use some black dye, with a touch of brown in it, and it would look fine.

Thanks for the suggestions John...........I will use the CA on the tenon and give some thought to the rim area like you mentioned.

Lee Koepke
09-10-2011, 8:31 AM
Just think of the stories you are adding to an already storied piece of history, when you finish, you will ensure that tree lasts another 350 years in its new form !!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Going to be a great looking bowl when finished Roger. I agree with John and soak the tenon with CA. Can't wait to see it finished.

Curt Fuller
09-10-2011, 12:29 PM
You would think that at 350 years old it would have grown out of the punky attitude. That kind of wood presents a dilemma in that it has so much going against you but at the same time it has far to much aesthetic value to give up on. I can only echo JK's suggestion for soaking the area around the tenon with thin CA. I do that on most turnings anymore just as a precaution. In one of those pics it also looks like there is some serious windshake separation in the wood. I think I would give that a CA bath too. Good luck, the end definitely justify the means on this one.

Tony De Masi
09-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Roger, I know you have patience so now is the time to use it wisely.

charlie knighton
09-10-2011, 2:17 PM
Roger, looks like it has some good possibilties, hope it can be turned safetly, you may want to use a face plate instead of tendon/chuck, i would still use the ca glue, you will end with a smaller bowl but i hate to think of anything that large in orbit, enjoy and good luck

Baxter Smith
09-10-2011, 2:54 PM
Looks like a lot of work Roger but there will hopefully be a great reward at the end. Another possibility might be to remove the tenon completely and get what looks like is going to be the foot/bottom completely flat. Attach a hardwood glueblock to that entire bottom then screw into that with a faceplate. Good luck!

Steve Vaughan
09-10-2011, 3:28 PM
I think it's gonna make a beautiful bowl! Hope you can get it to cooperate. Maybe a soak in some kind of finish - shellac or laquer, or maybe some glue - to firm up that punkiness. Hope it works out!

Jon Nuckles
09-10-2011, 8:08 PM
Roger, With this tree's punky attitude and the fits it has been giving you lately, it might be turning from a prayer tree into a swear tree! Hope you find a safe method to spin it into submission.

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 8:32 PM
it might be turning from a prayer tree into a swear tree!

Jon,

:D:D:D!!!

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 8:44 PM
Roger, I know you have patience so now is the time to use it wisely.

Tony,

I would almost be willing to give you this one to finish! Can you hear someone yell help up there in Front Royal? :eek::D

Harry Robinette
09-10-2011, 9:09 PM
Roger
I think the problem is your holding to much weight on to small a tenon. That big a piece of wood you should have a tenon twice the size of the one you have there. Your outer ring thats showing should be were your tenon should be. You do these heavy pieces you should figure 1/3 dia as tenon.
just my $.02

Roger Chandler
09-10-2011, 9:20 PM
Roger
I think the problem is your holding to much weight on to small a tenon. That big a piece of wood you should have a tenon twice the size of the one you have there. Your outer ring thats showing should be were your tenon should be. You do these heavy pieces you should figure 1/3 dia as tenon.
just my $.02

Thanks Harry.........I was using my powergrip jaws for my SN2 chuck.......these are the biggest jaws I have, and have never had a problem before.........my opinion is that the wood is just too punky, and it is sapwood as well.........I will figure something out.........although there is merit to your info.........a large turning needs a large tenon.........

Solid wood would not have been an issue here........just the punky-ness of this particular piece.