PDA

View Full Version : Which Coreldraw to buy?

Khalid Nazim
09-09-2011, 9:47 PM
I have finally placed the order for the laser (900mm x 600mm 80W RECI) on Shenhui and it would take a month for it to be delivered. I would like to take this time to educate myself on Corel Draw. Which least costly version of CorelDraw should I buy?

Regards
Khalid

Jim Reinhard
09-09-2011, 10:38 PM
I purchased x5 suite from ebay.Be carfull there are alot of not so legal knock offs.A chinese knock off is not like a chinese laser .if it dosent work you get no support from corel.I found a seller that was 2 blocks from my house .I went there then called corel to see if it was a legal copy.It was. paid $199 sealed box.

Mike Null
09-10-2011, 4:27 AM
You just spent several thousand dollars for a laser and you want the cheapest version of the software to run it. C'mon man--buy X5.

Martin Boekers
09-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Mike is right, your software is used for everything you do. I finally upgrade from 12 to X5
and in the first week I saved in time and frustration by using a couple new tools to pay for the
upgrade. Corel always has some sort of sale going on. Sign up on their web page and they'll
email you deals. Now if you find yourself an older version really cheap. (I found 12 that way
in a close out area) Then you might save a few hundred to go upgrade. I bought Unleashed X5
with it as I still only use a small portion of it's capabilities. Check trade shows coming up as
many companies have sales to coinside with them.

Sometimes the cheapest can become the most costly in the long run ;-)

Khalid Nazim
09-11-2011, 7:06 PM
I posted the question as I saw different versions of Coreldraw being sold and as I am just starting out in this field I thought it would be wise to buy the version that would would be good enough to start with. Anyway, it seems that the different versions of Coreldraw are not incremental versions but chronological version and X5 is the latest and the best one to buy. Got it now :)

By the way, has anyone of you tried to use Inkscape instead of Coreldraw with your lasers?

Regards
Khalid

Riki Potter
09-11-2011, 7:42 PM
Hi Khalid,

I use CorelDRAW Essentials for our laser (I believe this is a simpler version similar to Photoshop Essentials?), this does everything I've needed to do on it so far. I expect any version will work for you, although the newer versions will have more tools to help you along the way.

I've been dabbling with Inkscape lately, mainly using it for creating vector art, I'm planning to see how it works out with the laser when I get the chance. I'll let you know what I find if I do get it working.
On that note does anyone else know of any other open-source or free software that could run the laser?