PDA

View Full Version : What type of stone

Jim Foster
09-09-2011, 7:20 PM

I found a stone many years ago, seems soft and smooth, cleaned it up recently. Anyone know what kid of stone? Water stone, Oil stone, etc... It's 8"x2"

Ron Kellison
09-09-2011, 9:06 PM
I'm going to guess black Arkansas.

James Taglienti
09-09-2011, 9:17 PM
It looks like a Thuringian razor hone to me, if you wet it and rub it with some very high grit wet dry sandpaper youshould get an opaque teal colored slurry. Is it a pretty soft stone?

David Weaver
09-09-2011, 9:22 PM
Be lucky if it turns out to be a thuringian, especially if it's a good one and especially at that size.

Jim Foster
09-09-2011, 9:34 PM
It is soft, and it seems like a fine stone. I thought it may have been a piece of Vermont slate somebody used for a stone. Should I use oil or water with it?

It looks like a Thuringian razor hone to me, if you wet it and rub it with some very high grit wet dry sandpaper youshould get an opaque teal colored slurry. Is it a pretty soft stone?

Jim Foster
09-09-2011, 9:36 PM
It needs flattening, but it's not cracked and still has a good thickness to it. It is pretty out of flat. The only way I could see someone getting it so out of flat is if the sharpened kitchen knives or carving tools with it.

Be lucky if it turns out to be a thuringian, especially if it's a good one and especially at that size.

Jim Foster
09-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I googled Thuringian, and it seems like it may be the stone I have. Thanks for the feedback!

george wilson
09-10-2011, 7:24 PM
Give the dimensions,please. It looks like a barber's razor stone to me.

Larry Williams
09-10-2011, 8:08 PM
The razor hones I see aren't 8" long. My guess is that it's a Queer Creek stone from Norton/Pike.

Jim Foster
09-10-2011, 9:05 PM
It's 7"x2"x3/4". How do you know if it's a barber's stone? I googled "Queer Creek Stone" and have not found a picture that looks close to what this stone looks like (not saying its not a queer creek, maybe its because this one is so used.)

Thanks for the interest

george wilson
09-10-2011, 9:14 PM
It's 7"x2"x3/4". How do you know if it's a barber's stone? I googled "Queer Creek Stone" and have not found a picture that looks close to what this stone looks like (not saying its not a queer creek, maybe its because this one is so used.)

Thanks for the interest

I have since googled the type stone mentioned. They are used for razor stones,among other things. Very expensive,too.

David Weaver
09-11-2011, 9:42 AM
The only way to tell if it's a good razor hone is to sharpen a straight razor with it and see what the shave quality is straight off of it with nothing but leather or palm stropping. If it doesn't seem finer than a woodworking finisher, though, don't bother.

Eschers (branded thuringians) are very fine stones, but even unbranded thuringians can bring big $$ compared to what we think is reasonable for woodworking stones.

As far as queer creek stones, didn't someone mention once that they're a second line stone?

george wilson
09-11-2011, 9:53 AM
The only way to tell if it's a good razor hone is to sharpen a straight razor with it and see what the shave quality is straight off of it with nothing but leather or palm stropping. If it doesn't seem finer than a woodworking finisher, though, don't bother.

Eschers (branded thuringians) are very fine stones, but even unbranded thuringians can bring big $$ compared to what we think is reasonable for woodworking stones.

As far as queer creek stones, didn't someone mention once that they're a second line stone?

I have large razor stones that I bought years ago from the old guy who owned American Hone Co.,he said they were made for use in razor factories. They are about 2 1/2" X 8" X 5/8". Not too many razor factories around now!

David Keller NC
09-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Yet another possibility is that it's a Belgian blue stone:

http://www.theperfectedge.com/belgian.shtml

Given that you don't know what kind of stone it is, I'd try it out by wetting the surface with a wet sponge and see what happens. If the water won't wet it, then it was likely used as an oil stone. You can clean all of the oil out of a stone by soaking it in laquer thinner, but I wouldn't bother - I'd just use it as an oil stone.

What I would definitely not recommend is soaking it in water. Certain kinds of stone have bonding minerals that are somewhat soluble in water, particularly after long soakings. It might fall apart.

george wilson
09-11-2011, 11:46 AM
For some reason,every time I try to post something,a quote from another post is included. I pushed the rectangular REPLY button to make this post. Hopefully it will work. Ever since the hurricane,and the rain from the other hurricane(Lee),things have been messed up here.