PDA

View Full Version : I need a Volvo 240 wagon......

Larry Edgerton
09-09-2011, 5:38 PM
I have been driving way to far to work and the fuel bills are between $700-900 a month with the van. So I got to thinking....

One of my favorite cars, and I have had over 200, was a 1990 Volvo 240 wagon. It got about 25mpg, weighed in at over 4000 pounds, handled well, was comfortable, and you could put an amazing amount of stuff in it. It seldom broke, and when it did it was always a cakewalk to fix.

So I'm on the hunt for another one. I looked at all the new cars/minivans and nothing trips my trigger. New cars have too much crud to go wrong that is not necessary for me. The new Volvos lost their way, they are no longer a simple practical car. So it's a 240....

The Volvinator II!

Larry

Rick Potter
09-09-2011, 6:21 PM
Larry,

While you are looking, find me a really nice 544.

Rick Potter

Callan Campbell
09-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Larry, I hear you. I owned a '79 242. Two door,not the wagon I really wanted but it worked great for the few years we owned it in the early '90s. Very reliable, easy to work on- Volvo was starting to dump parts inventory on the 240 series at the time to make room for all the upcoming models, so parts were cheap even at the dealer. No A/C, as it was ordered for Alaska when it was new( still had it's documentation in the glovebox) Heat worked great, as did the heated rear window even after all those years! Ugly mustard yellow, with an oil contaminated repaint job to boot!But it Always worked for us. A bit buzzy on the highway since I only had the 4 speed manual trans with NO electric overdrive that was an option for some cars. Manual rack and pinion str rack that never gave up. Sigh, I wish you in your quest well sir!!! They REALLY don't make them like that anymore

Larry Edgerton
09-10-2011, 6:05 AM
Rick, heres a nice one right in your neighborhood.

http://www.volvotraderonline.com/details.php?id=9273

Larry

Jason Roehl
09-10-2011, 9:30 AM
From what I've heard, Volvos of that era are now notorious for having wiring that has essentially rotted away. Just something to watch for if you notice any electrical problems in a purchase candidate.

But, 200 cars? Including the one my wife brought to the marriage, I'm up to 12 cars/trucks and just bought my 3rd motorcycle. My first wheels were one of those motorcycles, and that was 18 years ago. You must buy a different vehicle instead of changing the oil! ;^)

Larry Edgerton
09-10-2011, 8:55 PM
From what I've heard, Volvos of that era are now notorious for having wiring that has essentially rotted away. Just something to watch for if you notice any electrical problems in a purchase candidate.

But, 200 cars? Including the one my wife brought to the marriage, I'm up to 12 cars/trucks and just bought my 3rd motorcycle. My first wheels were one of those motorcycles, and that was 18 years ago. You must buy a different vehicle instead of changing the oil! ;^)

Ha! I don't think I ever wore out a set of tires on a car till I was in my 40's, never kept them that long.

I decided to slow down my 240 search and work it into a California/Hiway 1 vacation for my wife and I. I'll buy a 240 in California and drive up to Washington and back across. I did that with my daughter in a Miata and it was an awesome trip neither of us will ever forget. My wife has never seen the redwoods, so it seems like a good plan to me......

So..... Today I bought a rust free 1988 Nissan Hardbody with a 4cyl stick to get me saving some money and conserving on fossil fuel. I bought it very right and will be able to double my money with any luck in the spring.

Right now I have my van, a Mazda 3, a 47 Dodge truck, and now the Nissan. See, I'm getting better........

Larry

Michael Mills
09-11-2011, 1:58 AM
Dang, I must be the ultimate vehicle curmudgeon. :rolleyes:

I added them up and I (and my wife of 40 years) have had ten. My first at 16.
My current is a '97 F150 that I bought used in 2000 for $3600. Thats <$400 a year....and that is plenty to spend on a vehicle imho. I plan on driving it at least another 5 years. After retirement I may buy another to take me to the end.

Rick Potter
09-11-2011, 9:04 PM
Well over a hundred cars here. Right now I have: 2005 Ford Superduty, 2004 Toyota minivan, 2003 Mustang GT convertible with 20K miles, 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 1948 Willys Jeepster, 1956 Ford Victoria, 1931 Ford Model A phaeton (fiberglass), and a 1922 Ford Model T touring, with a V8/60 motor that has been in it since 1955. Oh yeah, my daughter lives with us with her two cars too.

Rick Potter

PS: Larry, I saw one at a car show that had a V6 Chevy motor in it.....really tempted.