PDA

View Full Version : Annoying "click" found and fix on 3520B

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-09-2011, 5:09 PM
I've had an annoying click in my 3520B for a month. I really haven't had time to turn during that time but with a few moments here and there I searched out the problem. It was undoubtedly coming from the upper shaft, not the motor shaft. It even happened when I turned the shaft slowly by hand. I had that problem once before and decided it was the square block that passes by the magnetic pickup touching it slightly. A couple spacers fixed that. I'm now beginning to believe that wasn't the problem at all. Today I called PM and the service tech told me to loosen and move the square block. This is the same block that triggers the magnet for the RPM readout and has a milled slot for the bar that serves as the shaft lock. Lo and behold, both set screws on the block were loose already. The key kept the block from rotating on the shaft but there must have been enough play against the key to make the sound. If you have a 3520B or it's brother the Jet with the same mechanism, don't let a click bother you for long. Remove the push button from the housing, reach in with a 4mm allen key and check those set screws.
faust

Tony De Masi
09-09-2011, 6:40 PM
Right on time Faust. I've had that problem, similar anyway, before and simply tighten the set screws on the belt housing. This time that hasn't worked at all. So I'll try your recommendation and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the info.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2011, 7:39 PM
I actually helped someone with this problem a few weeks ago when their RPM digital dispay quit functioning. The square block had moved too far from the sensor.

John M. Smith
09-09-2011, 7:40 PM
I also had this problem. Bugged me for quite a while until I finally took the cover off and found those set screws loose.

mike ash
09-09-2011, 7:47 PM
Ken - that was me that you did indeed help with fixing my RPM digital display. The set screws had come loose and the magnetic pickup was not aligned to pick up the rotation. My poor ears need hearing aids, so I didn't hear any clicking. But there seems to be a common problem with the 3520B's in this set screw issue.

Mike Ash

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2011, 8:08 PM
Mike.....it may be we need to think about using a little Loctite 242....blue Locktite.....small thread, removeable type.

Rick Markham
09-09-2011, 8:20 PM
I will be checking mine, and probably using the blue loctite myself ;)

Tim Rinehart
09-09-2011, 9:18 PM
Faust...don't you just hate it when you post a problem, no one seems to have a suggestion to check what the real problem is, then you post saying what you found, and it's like "oh yea, I've had that".
I thought I'd mention that before saying...it happened to me too on my Jet 1642.:cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2011, 9:37 PM
Faust...don't you just hate it when you post a problem, no one seems to have a suggestion to check what the real problem is, then you post saying what you found, and it's like "oh yea, I've had that".
I thought I'd mention that before saying...it happened to me too on my Jet 1642.:cool:

Uh...Tim....if you take time to read my initial reply....the same problem gave different symptoms.....Mike's tachometer wasn't working intermittantly. I only posted so others reading this might realize you can have "a clicking sound" or you can have an intermittant or no tachometer readout....... There was no reason to be offended.......I was only adding information to what Faust posted.....

Tim Rinehart
09-09-2011, 9:53 PM
Ken, there was never the least bit of offense felt on my part....to know me is to know that I don't get offended that easily. It was amusing to me, quite honestly, if not a bit ironic since I had same issue need resolved as others in post.
Just keeping it light and adding an intended smile to the resolution of Faust's simple fix.