PDA

View Full Version : Black cherry burl

sam upton
09-09-2011, 4:38 PM
OK guys & gals I need some advice on how to get the most use from this burl that I picked up at SWAT. It is about 21 inches tall & about 15 inches across the widest point of the burl ball.
I will be using a chain saw first and then my band saw after that, if necessary. My 1st thought is to just split it down the center top to bottom, & then cut to the most usable lenth's after that.

Thanks for any sugestions, Sam207244207243

Tim Rinehart
09-09-2011, 4:41 PM
Let me be the first to say "just send to me, and I'll take care of that nasty ol burl"!

Ok...so that won't happen. It depends on what you like turning. For me, I'd take a piece like that and get up between centers to make a nice hollow form from, with as much emphasis on getting the eyes of the burl (where the bulge is) towards a good visible part of the form.

You may need to sit this on a shelf at eye level and see what shapes would make most of that burl. A piece like that could also be cut down the center and a couple bowls made from it, but just keep in mind the best part of the burl will likely be towards the outside of bulge, not where it's just 'trunk'. Still likely to have good figure.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Scott Hackler
09-09-2011, 4:48 PM
So... your the one who snagged the big cherry burl before I got back over there to buy it! lol. I was intending on buying one of those burls like the one you got, but too little too late.

I would split it right down the middle and decide from there.

David E Keller
09-09-2011, 5:02 PM
If I remember this burl correctly, the actual Burl goes about 80% of the way around the trunk/limb. I'd knock off the 'regular' wood from both ends then split the Burl down the middle. As was said, the best figure is usually right under the bark.

John Keeton
09-10-2011, 7:02 AM
There appear to be two separate burls, and I would try to split it somewhat off center to go between the two burls. Hopefully, that maximizes the figure - one looks quite a bit larger than the other.