PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Burl "Goblet"

Nate Davey
09-09-2011, 4:20 PM
This is the first time I've ever turned a burl, so thought I'd start smallish and not too thin. The form is 5" tall, dry sanded to 600, BLO sanded with 600, hand rubbed shellac then hand sanded to 8000 MM. The base I took my inspiration from some tobacco pipe makers who rusticate their pipes, but leave a smooth area for their signature. As an aside, make sure, if you want to use medium CA for it's slower drying time, that you actually grab medium and not thin. Makes a huge difference. Comments and criticism appreciated.

Tim Rinehart
09-09-2011, 4:36 PM
hey Nate...is that some of that $20 burl!!! Nice work, I especially like the NE foot...not sure I've ever seen that done, but it does bring to mind the briar wood pipes and effects.
Proportion wise, the top could be a bit smaller, at least for my liking...or perhaps just elongate the stem. Not a hard and fast rule, but it usually works to keep in mind the proportions of the golden rule. Applied to this, it would be that the upper third of the piece would be the cup, and lower 2/3 the stem/base.
Not hard and fast for all pieces, but I think it works well for goblets. That being said...functional pieces I think can get away with the proportions here...but I don't think this was meant to drank from.
$20 cherry burl...dang!

Nate Davey
09-09-2011, 4:44 PM
Thanks Tim, I was unsure of how to apply the 3rds rule on this. Yep, $20, I'm a member of the guild in Southern Pines. There's a guy there who owns a saw mill with his father and says he has a good number of burls.

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2011, 9:47 PM
Nate that is a beauty. Really well done and I do like the base.

Baxter Smith
09-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Good use of that burl Tim. Has a very dark rich color to it. I find the base very interesting. I'm not crazy over it as is, but I definitely think you are on to something by leaving part of it with the natural surface. What if the bottom outside edge of the foot was NE(wouldn't have a perfectly round foot) then the part that met the pedestal was turned. Sort of a reverse of the top. Just wondering out loud.:)

David E Keller
09-10-2011, 12:09 AM
That's cool, Nate! I was pretty sure you 'stole' that burl, but now that I've seen it, I'm absolutely sure that you stole it! Nice work!

Alan Trout
09-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Nate,

Very well done. Your skills have grown a lot. It is a beautiful piece.

Alan

John Keeton
09-10-2011, 7:13 AM
Nate, neat idea with leaving some rough on the base. Some good suggestions so far for the next one - particularly on proportions and leaving a little less NE on the base. I would also add that the ogee curve on the cup might work a little better if the convex and concave curves are similar in length and amplitude. Nonetheless, great job on this piece, and some beautiful wood!

Nate Davey
09-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks all for the kind comments.

John, yep the ogee is still bedeviling me

Alan, thanks for the objective look at my progress. Sometimes its hard to critique something you've bled over!!

I thought about a longer stem, but was afraid it would be too top heavy as the vase isn't super thin. With the NE base, getting an accurate dry fit wasn't possible.

Baxter, I think for the next I'll try and figure out how to reverse the NE portion.

Curt Fuller
09-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow, that is really pretty. The wood and cup form are beautiful but I especially like the contrast of the refined stem and the way it emerges from the burl base. That's really a nice goblet.

bob svoboda
09-10-2011, 12:45 PM
That is really nice. Love the foot and the finish is great.