PDA

View Full Version : Varigrind vs. Ellsworth grind results different?

Chris Barnett
09-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Need to sharpen an Ellsworth gouge. If the Varigrind sharpening jig is used, will the result look like the original? I read that the difference between the Ellsworth and other common gouges is that the cross-section is different, so that the resulting longer swept back wings are due to the profile and not the sharpening jig. Would be nice to know before I learn by trial and error, that use of the Varigrind will yield different results, particularly when I believe the basic mechanics of the Ellswroth jig can be easily duplicated.
And as always, really appreciate both the knowledge and opinions that you are willing to share.
Chris

Mauricio Ulloa
09-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Hi Chris,

I had the honor or having Mr. Ellsworth in my studio last December and he took a look at my Varigrind setup. I just use it with my Ellsworth jig. He told me that there is no significant difference. He also resharpen one of the gouges that I had and this is the one that I use as a reference right now.

So, go ahead and good turning!

Mauricio

Thom Sturgill
09-09-2011, 12:14 PM
As I understand, the Ellsworth gouge uses a parabolic profile for the gullet or flute. This is somewhat different from either a Sorby or one of Doug Thompson's gouges with the sides being less straight. The Wolverine jig CAN do an Ellsworth grind, but not in the default configuration. The 'Pocket' needs to be raised to give the correct angle. Instructions and alternate jigs (Geiger) are available on the web.

Chris Barnett
09-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks much for the info. If the only difference is that the pocket needs to be higher, I can accomplish that by just making another bar with the pocket...already made one for the other wheel, so still another is easy. Or if I can make a slip on piece, that would be so much less trouble in use. I had read about the Geiger, which seems easier to grasp and use though flimsy, but did not notice the height difference.
Thanks,
Chris

Just noticed in the next thread in the search results I had not quite finished reading, the information needed is mostly there.

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Chris,
I own the Ellsworth jig, the Varigrind original and the Varigrind 2. I can tell you that they all sharpen alike on a 5/8" Bowl gouge. The profile of the gouge will cause the shape to vary a bit. I own the new Ellsworth jig and can use it only on my 5/8" gouges. It will not accommodate a 1/2" tool. If you own the older square model, Don Geiger makes an adapter that allows you to sharpen a 1/2" gouge. I have settled into using only my Varigrind original for all bowl gouges for one reason or another and I can see no difference between a 5/8" tool sharpened on one jig or another.
faust